Electronic travel authorization

This is the Government of Canada’s official web page to apply for an electronic travel authorization (eTA) to fly to, or transit through, a Canadian airport. It only costs CAD 7. Find out what it is and how to apply online.

The Government of Canada will perform updates to its online system from 12:00 am to 5:30 am ET on December 12, 2023. The eTA application form will not be available at that time. We apologize for the inconvenience. To apply for an eTA, please return after 5:30 am ET on December 12.

Services and information

Find out about eTAs and if you can apply

العربية, 廣東話(繁體字), 普通話(繁體字), Български, English, Español, Filipino, Français, Deutsch, Ελληνικά, Magyarul, Italiano, 日本語, 한국어, Polski, Português, Português (Brasil), ภาษาไทย

Apply online for an eTA

To apply, you must have a valid passport, a credit or a debit card and an email address, and you must answer a few questions in the online application.

What to do after you apply

What to expect if we need more details from you, and things to keep in mind after you receive an eTA

Dual Canadian citizens need a Canadian passport

How to apply for a passport, and why you need a passport and not an eTA for travel to or through Canada

Check your eTA status

Get online updates on pending applications as well as information on the status of your current eTA


Flying to Canada?

Find out how easy it is to apply online. Learn how to get your eTA before you book your flight to Canada.

Page details

Date modified: