Super visa (for parents and grandparents): About the document
Processing time ?
Varies by country
You may need to give biometrics with your application. This processing time doesn’t include the time you need to give biometrics.
What is a super visa?
A super visa lets you visit your children or grandchildren for up to 5 years at a time. It’s a visa that provides multiple entries for a period up to 10 years. When you enter Canada, a border services officer will confirm how long you can stay.
There are specific requirements for a super visa, including the need for medical insurance. You must meet all the criteria to be eligible.
If you want to stay for 6 months or less, apply for a visitor visa.
Starting July 4, 2022 – increase in length of stay for super visa holders
If you apply on or after July 4, 2022
- You’ll be eligible for a stay up to 5 years at a time.
However, you may be able to benefit from the increase in length of stay for an application submitted before July 4, 2022:
- If we approved your application before July 4
- As long as you enter Canada after July 4, you’ll be eligible for a stay of up to 5 years at a time.
- If we approve your application after July 4
- You’ll be eligible for a stay of up to 5 years at a time.
If you entered Canada with a valid super visa before July 4
The length of stay granted to you by the border services officer when you entered Canada remains the same. For instance, if you were granted 2 years, it would remain 2 years.
- However, if you want to benefit from a longer stay, you’ll need to leave Canada before the end of your authorized stay and re-enter Canada after July 4, 2022. The border services officer may grant you a length of stay of up to 5 years if you still meet all the eligibility requirements for a super visa.
- Or you can apply to extend your stay in Canada and be approved for an extension of up to 2 years.
As a super visa holder you need to renew and/or maintain your medical insurance while in Canada and on re-entry.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: