Apply – Visit your children or grandchildren

We are expanding our fingerprint and photo requirements

Starting July 31, 2018, you will need to give your fingerprints and photo (biometrics) when you apply for a visitor visa if you are from Europe, the Middle East or Africa.

Find out if these changes apply to you.

The parent and grandparent super visa

You can apply online or on paper to get a parent and grandparent super visa. You must send all the documents to support your application.

Note: You may be eligible for a multiple-entry visa for up to 10 years depending on individual circumstances.

Visa-exempt visitors

If you do not need a visitor visa to enter Canada, you can still use the parent and grandparent super visa to stay in Canada for up to two years. To do so, follow the steps below.

Complete and submit the requested documents to prove your eligibility. If we approve the application, we will issue you a letter to give to a border services officer when you arrive in Canada. In addition, if you travel by air, you need to apply for an eTA separately to allow you to travel to and enter Canada. The eTA will be electronically linked to your passport, so you need to travel with the passport you use to apply for your eTA, and your letter to facilitate your travel to Canada. The officer at the border may approve a visit to Canada for up to two years.

Steps to apply for a visa

Citizens from 29 countries and 1 territory need to give biometrics (fingerprints and photograph) when they apply for a visa.

Apply online

You must have:

  • access to a scanner or camera to make electronic copies of your documents to upload, and
  • a valid credit card to pay with.

Determine your eligibility and apply online.

Note: If you provide an email address on your application, please ensure you check it regularly for automated emails from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) regarding your case. Some spam filters block these emails, and clients are requested to ensure emails from IRCC are not blocked. If you are unsure whether emails from IRCC are being sent, please check your MyCIC account on a regular basis.

Apply on paper

1. Get the application package

The package includes the instruction guide and all the forms you need to fill out. Download the application package.

Read the guide before you fill out the forms. We will not refund the application fee, even if you are travelling as part of a family.

To get a parent or grandparent super visa, you also need to give us:

  • proof that you are the parent or grandparent of the person you want to visit (for example, a birth certificate, baptismal certificate or other official document naming you as a parent),
  • a letter of invitation from your child or grandchild that includes
    • plans for care and
    • information on the number of people living in his or her household in Canada,
  • proof from your child or grandchild that he or she meets the low income cut-off (LICO), and
  • proof that you have private medical insurance from a Canadian insurance company valid for at least one year and that it
    • covers health care, hospital costs and your return to your home country,
    • covers you for at least $100,000 and
    • is valid for each entry into Canada.

You must be able to show the port of entry officer your proof of private medical insurance.

2. Pay your application fees

  • In most countries, application fees must be paid in Canadian dollars. More information about this and the payment methods available to you can be found by visiting the pay your fees tool.
  • Please note that if you apply on paper at a VAC, you will have to pay the VAC services fees. These fees are not included in your IRCC application fees.

3. Submit your application

Note: Families should send their applications in one package to the location where the principal applicant will be processed (based on their type of application).

Select the country/territory you will be applying from to find out where to submit your application. You can choose your country of nationality or the country/territory where you have been legally admitted:

4. Check processing time

How long it takes to process your application depends on the visa office where you applied.

For more information, see Application processing times.

Interview with a visa officer

You may need to go for an interview with a visa officer.

For more information about interviews, see After you apply: Next steps.

Medical exam

You will need a medical exam to enter Canada with a parent and grandparent super visa. A Canadian immigration officer will send you instructions about what to do.

For more information, see Medical exams.

Using a representative

You do not need a representative to apply to visit or immigrate to Canada. However, you can choose to use one.

For more information on representatives, see Choosing a representative.


Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: