Super visa (for parents and grandparents): How to apply
How to apply
1. Get your documents ready
Before you apply for a super visa, you need:
- a letter of invitation from your child or grandchild who is a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada that includes:
- a promise of financial support for the duration of your visit
- the list and number of people in the household of this person
- a copy of this person’s Canadian citizenship or permanent resident document
- proof that your child or grandchild’s household meets the minimum necessary income; examples include:
- Notice of Assessment (NOA) or T4/T1 for the most recent tax year
- Employment Insurance Benefit statements
- employment letter including salary, job title, job description, and date of hiring
- pay stubs
- bank statements
- proof of payment for medical insurance from a Canadian insurance company that is:
- valid for at least 1 year from the date of entry
- at least $100,000 emergency coverage
- a document confirming that you had an immigration medical exam
Are you visa-exempt? You can still apply for a super visa.
If you don’t need a visitor visa to enter Canada, you can still get a super visa to stay in Canada for up to 5 years. If we approve your application, we’ll issue you a letter to give to a border services officer when you arrive in Canada.
If you travel by air, you may also need to apply for an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) separately to allow you to travel to and enter Canada. The eTA will be electronically linked to your passport, so you need to travel with the passport you used to apply for your eTA, and your letter to facilitate your travel to Canada.
2. Apply for a super visa
You must apply online with the IRCC Portal for a super visa and be outside Canada when you apply.
How to apply online with the IRCC Portal
Follow these steps to apply online.
1. Create an account and sign in
If it’s your first time using the IRCC Portal, we’ll ask for your email and give you a code to sign up for an account.
2. Complete the online form and upload your documents
After you answer all the questions, you’ll get a list of documents you need to upload.
This includes the documents that support your visa application.
Check the list of documents based on your situation.
3. Pay with a credit card
We accept credit cards and prepaid cards from Visa®, MasterCard®, American Express®, JCB® and UnionPay®.
Already have an IRCC Portal account? Sign in
If you can’t apply online because of a disability, or if you’re travelling with an identity or travel document that was issued to a refugee, a stateless person or a non-citizen, you can apply on paper.
Top questions about the super visa
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: