Extend your stay in Canada: About the document
Special measures for Iranian temporary residents in Canada
If you’re an Iranian temporary resident in Canada, you can apply to extend your stay in Canada for free by applying to
- extend your current temporary status
- change your temporary resident status
Processing time ?
Error loading the number of days. Try again.
About the document: visitor record
When you first come to Canada as a visitor, you use one of these documents to enter:
- a visitor visa (also called a temporary resident visa)
- an electronic travel authorization (eTA)
- a valid passport or travel document
If you want to extend your stay in Canada as a visitor (stay in Canada longer), you need to apply for a visitor record. A visitor record is not a visa.
A visitor record
- is a document that gives you status as a visitor in Canada and allows you to stay longer
- includes a new expiry date
- that’s the new date that you must leave Canada by
When to apply for a visitor record
You must apply for a visitor record before your current status expires. If you’re not sure when your status expires, find out how long you can stay in Canada.
Leaving and returning to Canada
A visitor record is a document that continues to give you status as a visitor in Canada and allows you to stay longer. It doesn’t guarantee that you can leave and then re-enter Canada.
If you plan to travel outside Canada or the United States, you need a valid entry document, such as a visitor visa or eTA, to return to Canada.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: