Permanent residents need a PR card or travel document to travel to Canada

Permanent residents (PR) of Canada need a valid PR card when:

  • travelling to Canada by public transit (plane, train, bus or boat)
  • transiting through a Canadian airport

If your PR card is expired or you lost it, you can apply for a PR travel document (PRTD) to travel to Canada.

If you don’t have a PR card or a PRTD, you may not be able to board your flight to Canada.

Note: You don’t lose your status as a permanent resident when your PR card expires. You are still a permanent resident of Canada. Make sure you apply for a new PR card when you arrive in Canada.

Page details

Date modified: