Prepare for your arrival as a visitor to Canada

When you arrive in Canada, a border services officer will greet you. The officer works for the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA). The CBSA protects Canada's borders and points of entry.

The officer will ask to see your passport or travel documents. If you applied for a parent and grandparent super visa, you will have other documents to give to them as well. These could include proof of medical insurance and a letter of introduction from us, depending on what country you are travelling from. Make sure that you have these documents with you and that they are not packed in your luggage. This will speed up your entry into Canada.

Even if you don’t need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) or a visa to enter Canada, the officer will ask you a few questions. They will make sure that you meet the requirements to enter Canada.

You won’t be allowed into Canada if you give false or incomplete information. You must convince the officer that you:

  • are eligible for entry into Canada
  • will leave Canada at the end of your approved stay

Children under 18 (minor children) must travel with appropriate documents and meet the same entry requirements as adults. The border services officer may ask children to present other documents depending on if they are travelling alone or with someone. Find out about the specific requirements for minor children.

The officer will stamp your passport with a date, or let you know how long you can stay in Canada. This is usually six months. The officer may limit or extend this period of time to cover the planned purpose of your visit. Ask questions if you are not sure about anything.

If you don’t obey the conditions of your eTA, visa, or any permit we or CBSA issue you, we will ask you to leave Canada. Most people who are asked to leave Canada have the right to a fair hearing to review the decision.

Work or study in Canada

Most visitors to Canada can’t work or study in Canada without a permit. If you want to work or study, you must have status as a temporary resident in Canada. As a visitor in Canada, you would already have temporary resident status. The date your status expires will be listed on the passport stamp you got when you arrived in Canada. If there is no date listed, your status will expire six months from the day you arrived in Canada.

In some cases, you can work or study in Canada without a permit. Find out if you need:

For a new work permit, you can apply:

For a new study permit, you can apply:

Stay longer in Canada

If you want to extend your stay as a visitor in Canada, you must submit an application. Make sure you apply 30 days before your temporary resident status expires.


Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: