Apply for a visitor visa
Make sure you need a visa before you apply
Entry requirements may have changed since your last visit to Canada. Find out which entry document you need.
Save time and get case updates online!
- No courier fees or mail delivery time – we get your application instantly.
- Online applications may be processed more quickly.
- Avoid processing delays. Incomplete applications are returned to you. Applying online helps ensure your application is complete before you submit it.
- If we need to ask for more documents, you can quickly submit them online.
- You don’t need to submit your passport until we ask for it.
- Get updates on the status of your application directly in your online account.
Ready to get started?
You must pay the biometrics fee when you submit your application. Otherwise you may experience delays.
Apply on paper
If you have a valid study or work permit and are planning to leave and return to Canada, you can apply for a new visitor visa before you leave Canada.
1. Get the application package
The application package includes an instruction guide and all the forms you need to fill out.
Read the guide carefully before you complete the application. We will not refund your application fee, so make sure you are eligible for a temporary resident (visitor) visa before you apply.
Each individual applicant must submit a completed application form. Applicants under the age of 18 must have this form signed by a parent or a guardian.
2. Pay your application fees
If you apply on paper at a VAC, you will also have to pay the VAC services fees. These fees are not already included in your application fees.
3. Submit your application
Families should send their individual applications in one package. The principal applicant must send this combined package to the location where their application will be processed.
If you need to give biometrics (fingerprints and photograph), and you’re applying on paper, submit your application in person. VAC staff will check that it’s complete and will confirm that you’ve paid the correct fees before you can give your biometrics.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: