Hire a newcomer as an intern
The Federal Internship for Newcomers (FIN) Program helps public service managers hire eligible newcomers to fill temporary job opportunities.
The FIN Program helps you fill skilled labour shortages by hiring newcomers if you’re
- an employer in a
- federal government department or agency
- government organization
- located in or around
- St. John’s, NL
You can hire candidates in fields such as
- project management
- policy and research
- computer science
These skilled and experienced newcomers can enhance your workplace by
- increasing productivity and creativity
- bringing new perspectives
- helping to expand local and global networks
All qualified candidates have
- been assessed by a partner immigrant-serving organization
- good language skills and are ready to work
- taken job–readiness training (if needed)
- been interviewed and evaluated by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada
Once interns begin their placement, we match them with mentors and offer training sessions to help them adapt to working in Canada.
You can support your interns by allowing them to attend these professional development sessions whenever possible.
Many internships start in September, but you can request to hire an intern throughout the year.
- Identify the positions that you can fill with FIN candidates.
- If you are a federal partner, you can hire FIN candidates as casual workers.
- Send us the statement of criteria by email or fill out and submit our online form.
- Review qualified candidates’ résumés that are provided to you.
- Conduct interviews and check references.
- Prepare a letter of offer for the selected candidate or candidates.
- If you are a federal partner, initiate and complete the security clearance process with your department’s human resources branch.
- Pay your hired candidate or candidates their salary.
When you hire a FIN intern, you’ll receive
- free cross-cultural support from professional coaches
- a resource guide for hiring managers with information on
- steps to follow throughout the duration of the internship
- the cross-cultural support available to managers and interns
- mentoring and mentorship opportunities available to managers and interns
- support and resources available to you
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: