Hire an intern
The Federal Internship for Newcomers (FIN) Program allows you to fill skilled labour shortages by hiring newcomers if you’re:
- an employer in:
- a federal government department or agency
- a government organization
- located in or around:
- St. John’s, NL
You can hire candidates in fields such as:
- project management
- policy and research
- computer science
These skilled and experienced newcomers can enhance your workplace by:
- increasing productivity and creativity
- bringing new perspectives
- helping to expand local and global networks
All qualified candidates have:
- good language skills and are ready to work
- been assessed by a partner Immigrant-Serving Organization (ISO)
- taken job-readiness training (if needed)
- been interviewed and evaluated by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC)
Once interns begin their placement, we:
- match them with mentors
- offer training sessions to help them adapt to working in Canada
You can support your interns by allowing them to attend these professional development sessions whenever possible.
Many internships start in September, but you can request an intern throughout the year.
How to hire
- Identify and define positions within your organization that you can fill with FIN candidates.
- For federal partners: you’ll hire them as casual employees.
- Complete the application form.
- You can send questions by email to IRCC.SIPFINP-PFSNAPEI.IRCC@cic.gc.ca.
- We won’t answer questions that aren’t about the FIN program.
- Review résumés of qualified candidates provided to you.
- Conduct interviews and check references.
- Prepare a letter of offer for the selected candidate(s).
- For federal partners: Initiate and complete the security clearance process with human resources in your department.
- Pay the salary.
As an employer of FIN Program participants, our FIN Program team offers you:
- free cross-cultural support from professional coaches
- a Resource Guide for Hiring Managers with information on:
- hiring through the FIN Program
- the cross-cultural support available to managers and interns
- mentoring and mentorship opportunities available to managers and interns
- steps to follow throughout the duration of the internship
- support and resources available to you
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: