How Express Entry benefits employers

As an employer, Express Entry gives you more recruiting options. It helps you respond to labour shortages when there are no Canadian citizens or permanent residents who can fill the job.

Express Entry allows employers to:

  • have a direct role in recruiting skilled workers
  • be matched with candidates through Job Bank
  • apply for a free Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA).

Note: Quebec does not use Express Entry. They select their own skilled workers. See Quebec-selected skilled workers to find out more.

Express Entry does not have an eligible occupation list or caps.

To enter the pool, Express Entry candidates must have skilled work experience in a National Occupational Code (NOC) 0, A or B job. Jobs offered to candidates in the pool must be in one of these groups.

Job offers are also subject to the LMIA requirements in place at that time they apply (if this applies).

Supporting a temporary worker’s application for permanent residence

If a foreign worker is working for you in Canada on a work permit supported by an LMIA (or the job is exempt from needing one), you can offer them a job to support their application for permanent residence.

If you want to permanently hire a foreign worker but you do not have a LMIA for the job, you will first need to try and find a Canadian or permanent resident to fill the job.

You will need to meet the LMIA requirements, including posting your job ad on the Government of Canada’s Job Bank, and advertising in two other places.

If you have done this and have not been able to fill your job, you can then apply for an LMIA through Employment and Social Development Canada/Service Canada. If it is approved, the worker then create an Express Entry profile.

If you have a valid LMIA, the worker would then create an Express Entry profile and include their job offer information. We award points for a valid job offer. This will increase their chances of being invited to apply for permanent residence during a round of invitations.

Permanent residence visa

Express Entry candidates can’t usually work in Canada until they have their permanent resident visa. In some cases, they will already be in Canada with a temporary work permit.

If you need a worker to start before the visa is processed, you can apply for a “dual intent” LMIA. In this case, you would need to pay the LMIA fee.

A dual intent LMIA means a person can come to Canada to work temporarily while they wait for a decision on their permanent residence application. In this case, a candidate must still apply for a work permit and meet the criteria for foreign workers.

Express Entry candidates who have a job offer and have been invited to apply will not automatically get a work permit or temporary resident visa while we process their application.

Page details

Date modified: