Work permit: Bringing your family with you to Canada

If you’re applying for a work permit, and your family members want to come to Canada, they must also apply to visit, or to work or study in Canada. They can apply at the same time as you.

Options for your spouse or common-law partner

If they plan to work in Canada

In some cases, your spouse or common-law partner may be able to apply for an open work permit that will let them work for any employer.

If they’re not eligible for an open work permit as your spouse or common-law partner, they must be eligible for another type of work permit. This could include their employer getting a labour market impact assessment.

If they don’t plan to work in Canada

If your spouse or common-law partner doesn’t plan to work, they may apply to come to Canada with you as either a

Options for your dependent children

Your dependent children may also apply to come with you to Canada as either a

If you’re eligible for the Global Skills Strategy

Your spouse, common-law partner and dependent children are also eligible for 2-week processing on their applications.

How to get 2-week processing

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: