Practitioner’s Guide to Federal Impact Assessments
Want to get involved? Consider joining our Indigenous Advisory Committee or Technical Advisory Committee on Science and Knowledge. For more information on eligibility criteria and the application process, consult the Call for Nominations: Indigenous Advisory Committee and Call for Nominations: Technical Advisory Committee on Science and Knowledge. Applications will be accepted until November 30, 2022.
The Practitioner’s guide is an evergreen document. Check it periodically, its contents may have been updated because of ongoing engagement and feedback received. If you have feedback, please send it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
This Guide includes policy frameworks and guidance, and templates organized by assessment phase and topic:
Policy frameworks set out the intent and interpretation of key sections of the Impact Assessment Act (the Act).
Guidance documents provide support to project proponents and impact assessment practitioners on what is required under the Act and how the practitioners’ work informs the overall impact assessment process.
Templates set out the information or studies that the Agency considers necessary for the conduct of an impact assessment when it issues a notice of commencement.
- Planning phase
- Preparing an initial project description and a detailed project description
- Cooperation plan
- Permitting plan
- Public participation plan
- Indigenous engagement and partnership plan
- Tailored impact statement guidelines (TISG)
- Indigenous participation and engagement
- Public participation
- Factors to consider in an impact assessment
- Health, social and economic effects (guidance)
- Impacts on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples
- "Need for", "purpose of", "alternatives to" and "alternative means"
- Sustainability (guidance)
- Incorporating Indigenous knowledge and working with Indigenous communities (guidance)
- Environmental obligations and climate change commitments (policy framework)
- Community knowledge (policy framework)
- Gender-based analysis plus (guidance)
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: