Symptoms of Japanese encephalitis
Learn about the symptoms of Japanese encephalitis, what to look for and what to do if you become ill.
On this page
What are the symptoms of Japanese encephalitis?
Symptoms can take between 5 and 15 days to appear. It is common for most people to show no symptoms.
Less than 1% of infected people develop encephalitis (brain swelling), which is fatal in about 20% to 30% of these cases.
In severe cases, symptoms usually appear suddenly, starting with:
Symptoms may also include:
- stiff neck
- general weakness
- movement disorders
- mental or behaviour changes
- paralysis (being unable to move)
- possible long-term nerve and brain damage
What do you do if you become ill?
Consult a health care provider if you have:
- travelled to an area where Japanese encephalitis is present
- any of the listed symptoms
Tell your health care provider:
- your symptoms
- which countries you visited or lived in
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: