Prevention of plague
Learn how plague can be prevented.
How to prevent plague
At this time there is no plague vaccine available in Canada for travellers.
You can reduce your risk of getting plague by:
- protecting yourself from flea bites by using insect repellent and avoiding:
- contact with sick or dead animals
- contact with rodents or other wildlife
- crowded areas where pneumonic plague is being reported
- contact with persons who are sick or are suspected of infection with pneumonic plague
If you own a pet in an area where plague is present, you should:
- keep fleas off your pet(s)
- not allow your dogs or cats to roam free outside or sleep on your bed
- Date modified: