COVID-19: Mandatory random testing requirements for fully vaccinated travellers and unvaccinated children less than 12 years
Organization: Public Health Agency of Canada
This document explains legal requirements set out in the Minimizing the Risk of Exposure to COVID-19 in Canada Order and instructions from a quarantine officer.
Warning: Your compliance with this requirement will be verified by phone and may be verified in person. If you do not comply, you may be subject to enforcement measures and may face fines of $5,000 for each non-compliance.
Keep this handout for reference for the next 14 days.
If you have been selected for mandatory random testing
Mandatory random testing is part of the Government of Canada surveillance program to track the importation of COVID-19 virus into Canada, and identify new variants of concern. It's important to complete your arrival test to protect Canada and detect this contagious disease. You are not required to quarantine while waiting for the results of your test.
You must take a COVID-19 molecular test within 24 hours.
- If instructed to complete test on-site, you must register and the on-site test provider will collect your sample.
- If instructed to take a self-swab kit home, you must:
- complete your test sample arrange for pick up and delivery to the test provider
- If instructed to test off-site at a clinic, pharmacy or satellite testing location, you must proceed to the location specified by the test provider.
You'll receive an email or text message with instructions on how to view your test results online. Call your testing provider if you don't have internet access.
If you receive a positive test result or if you start showing signs and symptoms, you must immediately:
- report to the Public Health Agency of Canada within 24 hours by calling 1-833-641-0343 and
- isolate for an additional 10 days, even if your province or territory has a shorter isolation period
If you receive an indeterminate or invalid test result, you must take another test. Contact your testing provider within 24 hours of receiving your test result to make arrangements to complete another sample.
If you require assistance or do not receive your test result after 4 days, contact your testing provider.
Learn more about:
- How to contact your testing provider
- Common signs and symptoms of COVID-19 and provincial/territorial COVID-19 information and resources
For more information
- 1-833-784-4397 (toll free)
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: