HIV in Canada: infographic
Organization: Public Health Agency of Canada
In 2016, an estimated 63,110 people were living with HIV.
Canada's progress to meet HIV 90-90-90 targets by 2020:
- 86% of Canadians living with HIV were diagnosed
- 81% of Canadians diagnosed with HIV were on treatment
- 91% of HIV positive Canadians on treatment had achieved viral suppression
In 2016, an estimated 2,165 new HIV infections occurred.
6 Canadians were infected with HIV every day.
Transmission of new HIV infections
- Male-to-male sexual contact - 53%
- Heterosexual contact - 33%
- Injection drug use - 11%
- Male-to-male sexual contact & injection drug use - 3%
To learn more about HIV and what you can do to prevent the virus, visit: Canada.ca and search HIV/AIDS.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: