HIV in Canada
New HIV cases are on the decline.
But the number of people living with HIV in Canada continues to rise.
In 2014 an estimated 65,040 people were living with HIV in Canada compared to the estimated 60,500 for 2011.
- people with HIV are living longer due to medical advances in treatment
- new HIV infections continue to occur
However, an estimated 1 in 5 people living with HIV in Canada are unaware of their HIV infection.
- 28% of people infected via heterosexual sex are unaware of their HIV positive status
- 20% of people infected via injection drug use are unaware of their HIV positive status
- 18% of men infected via sex with other men are unaware of their HIV positive status
Know your status so you can access treatment, protect your health, and that of your partner(s).
Get the facts.
Talk to your partner(s).
To learn more about HIV and what you can do to prevent the virus, visit Canada.ca/health
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: