Relocation of spouse

Disclaimer: Changes in your work or life situation

On this page

Maximum duration of leave request

If your spouse or common-law partner is being permanently relocated, you may request leave without pay for up to 1 year.

If your spouse or common-law partner is being temporarily relocated, you may request relocation of spouse leave for up to 5 years.

You will be granted leave without pay upon request. Approval of leave without pay for relocation of spouse is not discretionary.

Notifying the Pay Centre

These are the 5 steps involved in processing your request for leave without pay:

  1. Make your request for leave without pay through your departmental leave system
  2. Confirm that your manager approves the request in your departmental leave system
  3. Your manager notifies your departmental human resources team
  4. Your departmental human resources team sends the necessary information to the Pay Centre
  5. The Pay Centre temporarily stops your salary and issues detailed information about the effects on your pay and any related benefits or insurance

If your department doesn’t have its own leave system, ask your human resources team to forward your authorized leave request form (accessible only on the Government of Canada network) to the Pay Centre. The Pay Centre will record your leave.

Salary replacement while on leave without pay

If you wish to make a claim for Employment Insurance (EI), you will need a record of employment. Get more information on how to apply for Employment Insurance benefits online or at your local Service Canada office.

Page details

Date modified: