Pay and changes in your life

Pay processes related to common life events for employees serviced by the Public Service Pay Centre.


If your department or agency is not served by the Pay Centre, contact your departmental compensation unit.

Please request additional guidance from your manager, departmental human resources and finance, as pay-related information and processes are subject to change.

Note: Your terms and conditions of employment and collective agreement are your two main sources of pay-related information. If the content in this section conflicts with either of these documents, the terms and conditions or collective agreement must take precedence.

Services and information

New to the public service

What you need to know about your pay, employment status and terms and conditions

Taking leave

How your public service collective agreement and employment terms may affect your common leave requests

Becoming a parent

Your options and responsibilities as a public servant when you have a child or a new dependent


Terminating employment

Your potential benefits, options and responsibilities when you retire or resign from the public service

Getting married or reaching common-law status

Whom to notify and how a change in your marital status may affect your public service pension and benefits

Leaving the public service

Finalize your pay account, claim benefits, EI and more if you retire voluntarily or due to a disability


When death occurs

What happens if you or a relation dies while you are employed in the public service

Changing your employment

Effects on your pay and benefits if you change your hours, status, department, union or position

Changing your personal information

Whom to notify to ensure that your pay and benefits are unaffected if you change your address or legal name


Divorce or separation

Your options and responsibilities as a public servant when you divorce or separate

Work force adjustment

Information for employees on work force adjustment

Page details

Date modified: