Minister Lebouthillier welcomes the Panel Report on the public consultations on charities and political activities
"The Panel Report represents a significant milestone in the consultation process we began last year and I thank the Panel for its work. The Government remains committed to clarifying the involvement of the charitable sector in public policy dialogue and development."
The Honourable Diane Lebouthillier, Minister of National Revenue
The CRA held its online consultation on Clarifying the rules governing charities’ political activities from September 27 to December 14, 2016.
The in-person consultations with representatives from the charitable sector took place in Winnipeg, Calgary, Vancouver, Montreal, Halifax, Toronto, and Ottawa between November 29 and December 13, 2016.
The Consultation Panel received nearly 20,000 submissions.
The members of the Consultation Panel were Marlene Deboisbriand (Chair), Shari Austin, Susan Manwaring, Kevin McCort and Peter Robinson.
Of the approximately 86,000 registered charities in Canada, about 550 report carrying out political activities on their annual information return to the CRA.
- Charities program facts and figures
- News release (September 27, 2016): Minister Lebouthillier announces consultations with charities to clarify the rules for their participation in political activities
- Policy Statement CPS-022, Political Activities
- Resources for charities about political activities
- Video Series: Charities and their participation in political activities
Office of the Minister of National Revenue
Canada Revenue Agency
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: