Changes to the sales tax in British Columbia

Beginning April 1, 2013, the 12% harmonized sales tax (HST) will no longer apply on property or services made in British Columbia (B.C.), or to property or services imported or brought into B.C. that are not zero-rated supplies. In its place, the 5% goods and services tax (GST) will apply to these products and importations.

What this means for you:

Sales of newly constructed or substantially renovated housing:

Where to get more information:

The CRA will keep you informed as more information becomes available. For the most up-to-date information, go to or subscribe to Excise and GST/HST News at to receive quarterly electronic newsletters.

The CRA’s online services for businesses:

Did you know that you can simplify your GST/HST filing obligations by using the CRA’s online filing options? For more information, go to To learn more about the online services offered through the CRA’s My Business Account , go to

Stay connected

To receive updates when new information is added to our website, you can:


More information
CRA media contact list

Page details

Date modified: