File your taxes online for free!
Did you know?
You can file your taxes online for free. Many people think filing online is expensive because it requires certified tax preparation software. The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) has a list of CRA-certified commercial tax preparation software packages and web applications to fit all budgets, including options that are free.
- Income tax and benefit returns filed online must be prepared using a CRA-certified tax preparation software or web application. For a list of options, including free software, go to www.netfile.gc.ca/software.
- Before filing online, make sure your information, including your address, is up-to-date. You can look up or change your information online before filing your return by using My Account at www.cra.gc.ca/myaccount. While in your My Account why not register for the new online mail service and receive statements such as your notice of assessment online.
Why file online?
- CRA certified software and web applications guide you through the process, do all the calculations for you, and make sure you don't miss out on credits and benefits you may be eligible for.
- Filing online helps to ensure there are no interruptions to your Canada child tax benefit and GST/HST credit payments.
- If you file your return online, in most cases you will receive your refund faster. When you file online and sign up for direct deposit, you may receive your refund in as little as eight days! For information on how to sign up for direct deposit, go to www.cra.gc.ca/directdeposit.
- Filing online is secure. The CRA uses the same high level of online security Canadian financial institutions use.
- Last year, more than 80% of Canadians filed their return electronically. Join the majority who are already enjoying the benefits of online filing!
For more information about filing online, go to www.cra.gc.ca/getready.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: