Are you expecting a refund this year?
Did you know?
You can get a refund if you:
- paid too much tax throughout the year;
- paid more instalments than necessary; or
- claimed more refundable credits than the total taxes you owed.
- There are two ways to check the status of your refund:
- By Internet
- Use My Account.
- By automated phone service
- Call the Tax Information Phone Service (TIPS) at 1-800-267-6999.
- By Internet
- Here are a couple of points about getting a refund:
- If you filed your return electronically you could get your refund in as little as eight business days.
- The CRA usually processes paper returns in four to six weeks.
- The CRA will start to process returns in mid-February; wait until mid-March to call, even if you filed your return in January.
- If you filed your return on or before April 15, wait four weeks before you call.
- If you filed your return after April 15, wait six weeks before you call.
- You can choose to have your tax refund and benefit payments deposited directly into your account at your financial institution in Canada.
For more information, go to the CRA webpage on refunds.
Sign up for direct deposit and save yourself a trip to the bank!
The Government of Canada is encouraging Canadians to sign up for direct deposit now. Request direct deposit—it's faster, more convenient, reliable, and secure. Go to www.cra.gc.ca/directdeposit to sign up.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: