How to get your benefit payments while staying in a shelter

The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) is wholeheartedly committed to ensuring that vulnerable Canadians, among them women and children facing abusive situations get their benefits and credits.

When you are going through a difficult time, it is all the more important to keep getting your benefit payments. Changes to your address, your marital status, the number of children in your care, etc. can directly affect your benefit payments, such as the Canada child benefit (CCB).

At any time, if you need help, you should contact the CRA directly at 1-800-387-1193 to discuss your specific situation.

Keep getting your benefit and credit payments:

Not getting your benefit and credit payments:

If you need to provide information or documents to the CRA:

If the CRA tells you it’s reviewing your eligibility to benefits, don’t panic! In most cases, it’s simply a routine check. It’s important that you reply as soon as possible so we can do our review quickly and easily. If you can’t get the documents we’re asking for, we can suggest other documents that can be provided instead.


Stay connected


More information
CRA media contact list

Page details

Date modified: