Correcting or replacing official donation receipts

How can a registered charity correct pre-printed receipts?

If a registered charity has pre-printed receipts that contain errors (for example, as a result of changing their name, address, or registration number), and wants to use its remaining stock before ordering a new supply, we recommend that the charity:

  • cross out the errors

  • add the correct information using a stamp (if possible)

  • make the changes on both the donor’s and the duplicate copies

How can a registered charity replace a receipt?

If a registered charity has issued a receipt that was lost or contained incorrect information, the charity can issue a replacement receipt. The replacement receipt must include:

  • all the required information

  • the serial number of the original receipt

  • a statement that it replaces the original receipt

The registered charity should keep its copy of the original receipt and mark "cancelled" on it.

If a registered charity prepared a receipt that contained incorrect information, but has not sent it to the donor, the charity can prepare a new receipt. However, the charity must keep both copies of the original receipt and mark “cancelled” on them.

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: