Automated Benefits Application

The Automated Benefits Application is a quick, easy and secure way to apply for Canada child benefits for your newborn. It is a joint partnership between the Vital Statistics Agency of each province and the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA). You can use this service during the birth registration process. With your consent, the Vital Statistics Agency will securely send the birth registration information to the CRA after your child’s birth has been registered. The CRA will then determine if you are eligible for benefits and send you a notice/payment within 8 weeks of receiving your benefit application.

Direct Deposit

If you are thinking of using this service, the CRA recommends that you sign up for direct deposit prior to giving birth to your child in order to reduce delays in receiving your payments.

1. How do I use the Automated Benefits Application (ABA)?

When you register the birth of your newborn with your province, you will need to:

  • complete and sign the provincial birth registration form
  • consent to the Vital Statistics Agency of your province sharing your information with the CRA, by signing in the appropriate area of the birth registration form
  • provide your social insurance number (SIN)

For more information, refer to the Information Sheet, RC4476 Canada Child Benefits, for your province.

2. Who can use the ABA?

Only the mother of the newborn can choose to consent to have the information from the birth registration form transmitted to the CRA so that she can apply for benefits for her child.

3. What benefits am I applying for if I use the ABA?

If you consent to use the ABA on the birth registration form, you will be applying for:

Your child will also be registered for the goods and services tax/harmonized sales tax (GST/HST) credit.

4. When can I expect my first payment/notice after using the ABA?

Once the CRA receives your application through the ABA from the participating province, you can expect to receive your first notice/payment within 80 calendar days.

5. What if I do not consent?

If you do not give your consent, the information on the birth registration form will not be sent to the CRA. You will have to apply for Canada child benefits by using the Apply for child benefits online service on My Account, or by completing Form RC66, Canada Child Benefits Application .

6. Which provinces or territories offer this service?

See Participating provinces and territories for the list of provinces and territories offering this service.

7. Is the ABA secure?

Yes. Both the CRA and the participating province have taken all necessary precautions in accordance with their respective legislation to ensure the information is secure.

8. Do I have to file an income tax and benefit return?

Yes. To receive your benefits, you and your spouse or common-law partner (if applicable) must both file an income tax and benefit return every year, even if you have not received income in the year.

Did you know?

Change of marital status
Entering a new marital status on the provincial birth registration form will not automatically update the marital status the CRA has on file.

If your marital status has changed, you must inform the CRA of your new status and the date of the change. You can do this by using “Change my marital status” on My Account. You may also complete and send form RC65, Marital Status Change or provide the information by sending a letter to the tax centre that serves your area.

Direct deposit
Submitting a direct deposit application would allow the CRA to deposit your payments directly into an account at your financial institution. If you already receive your benefit payments for your other children by direct deposit, you do not have to apply again. You will receive the benefit payments for your newborn in the same bank account.

To sign up, go to How to request direct deposit.

Reapplying (duplicate application)
If you gave your consent on the provincial registration form, you do not need to reapply by using the online service My Account, or by using Form RC66. The application is automatically made by providing your consent on the birth registration form. Reapplying for your child's benefits may result in a delay in processing your ABA application or issuing payments.

Social Insurance Number (SIN) for your newborn
You may also apply for a SIN at the same time that you register the birth with your province or territory. To get more information on this service, visit the Service Canada Web site.

Related services and information

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Privacy statement

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: