GST/HST credit – Apply
In most cases, all you have to do to receive the GST/HST credit each year is file your taxes, even if you have no income to report.
New residents of Canada must complete a form to apply for the credit
If you are a new resident of Canada, follow the steps below to apply for the GST/HST credit:
- Complete one of the following forms:
- If you have children: fill out and sign Form RC66, Canada Child Benefits Application to apply for all child and family benefits, including the GST/HST credit
- If you do not have children: fill out and sign Form RC151, GST/HST Credit Application for Individuals Who Become Residents of Canada
- Mail the completed form to your tax centre
Claim the GST/HST credit for your child
If you applied for the Canada child benefit (CCB) you may already be receiving the child portion of the GST/HST credit. However, If you did not apply for the CCB, had another child or a child starts to live with you, you will need to manually register the child to receive the GST/HST credit:
- Sign in to My Account.
- Go to “Apply for child benefits.”
- Confirm your contact information, your marital status and your citizenship.
- Add your child’s name, gender, date and place of birth.
After you apply, you can view the status of your application in My Account.
Other ways to register a child for the GST/HST Credit
- Fill out and sign Form RC66, Canada Child Benefits Application.
- Mail the completed form to your tax centre.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: