GST/HST credit – Apply

Proof of birth required

Individuals need to provide proof of birth for their children when applying for the GST/HST credit and the Canada Carbon Rebate or the Canada child benefit for the first time. To find out more, go to supporting documents.


In most cases, all you have to do to receive the GST/HST credit each year is file your taxes, even if you have no income to report.

New residents of Canada must apply for the credit

You do not need to do your first tax return before you can get the GST/HST credit.

If you are a new resident of Canada, follow the steps below to apply:

  1. Complete Form RC151, GST/HST Credit and Canada Carbon Rebate Application for Individuals Who Become Residents of Canada to apply and register any children in your care.
    • You do not need to complete this form if you are also applying for the Canada child benefit.
  2. Mail the completed form to your tax centre, with proof of birth for any children you are applying for.


If your documents are in a language other than English or French, we need a copy of the original documents along with an English or French translation.

Related information

Page details

Date modified: