Frequently asked questions
Using the service
- What is the GST/HST TELEFILE toll-free telephone number?
- What is my access code?
- Will my access code be the same for each filing period?
- Can I change my access code?
- Are there any helpful hints on how to use the service?
- What happens to my return after I have filed it using GST/HST TELEFILE?
- Can I use GST/HST TELEFILE to change a return that I've already filed?
1. What is the GST/HST TELEFILE toll-free telephone number?
The GST/HST TELEFILE toll-free telephone number is 1-800-959-2038.
2. What is my access code?
Your access code is a four-digit number. If you have misplaced your access code, go to Need an access code?
If you have never received an access code, call us at 1-800-959-5525 and we will give you one. If you are calling from outside Canada and the United States, call us collect at 613-940-8497.
3. Will my access code be the same for each filing period?
4. Can I change my access code?
You can change your access code to a number of your choice by using GST/HST Access Code Online.
5. Are there any helpful hints on how to use the service?
The GST/HST TELEFILE service will guide you through the process step by step. Here are some things to know before you call to file your return:
- For best results, and to ensure your privacy, do not use a cordless or cellular telephone, or one with the keypad in the handset.
- Enter all the digits of your Business Number, but do not enter the letters "RT".
- Press "*" to have a message repeated.
- Press "1" to answer yes or "0" to answer no.
- Press "#" when you have finished entering an amount.
- GST/HST TELEFILE repeats each entry. To help you file an accurate return, you have to confirm each entry. Make any necessary corrections before you confirm your amounts.
- If you hang up at any time before confirming that you want to file your return, the information you entered will not be saved. You can hang up and call again up to a maximum of six times.
6. What happens to my return after I have filed it using GST/HST TELEFILE?
At the end of the call, you will immediately receive a six-digit confirmation number and we will start to process your return. Write down your confirmation number, and keep it with your records.
Returns that are filed using GST/HST TELEFILE are reviewed like all other returns. You should keep your working copy for your records. It and any other information you use to prepare your return are subject to audit and must be retained for verification purposes.
7. Can I use GST/HST TELEFILE to change a return that I've already filed?
Returns can only be adjusted electronically using the My Business Account (MyBA) portal. If you do not already have a MyBA user ID and password, you can request one at My Business Account.
If you are not registered with MyBA, send your adjustment request, in writing, to your tax centre.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: