Email notifications from the CRA – Individuals

Email notifications from the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) let you know you when you have mail to view in My Account and when important changes are made on your account.

To view the terms of use, go to Terms of use for email notifications.

Email notifications you will receive

When you sign up for email notifications from the CRA, we will send you an email to confirm your registration. After that, we will send you an email when:

  • you have new CRA mail to view in My Account
  • your address is changed
  • your banking information for direct deposit is changed
  • your marital status is changed
  • your authorized representative information is changed
  • your Personal Identification Number (PIN) is created, updated, or deleted
  • you have successfully applied for a COVID-19 benefit
  • mail sent to you by the CRA has been returned, meaning you need to update your mailing address

CRA mail you will receive electronically

Some examples of CRA mail you can currently receive online include:

  • notices of assessment
  • notices of reassessment
  • benefit notices
  • T1 adjustment notices
  • instalment reminders
  • for some programs, letters asking for information and documentation

The CRA adds more items to our email notification service every year. However, some mail cannot be sent electronically, and will continue to be mailed on paper. If you need a paper copy of your mail, you can log in to My Account and print it.

How to register or update your email address with the CRA

There are many ways to register to receive email notifications from the CRA:

  • log in to My Account and select "Notification preferences"
  • use the MyCRA web app or the MyBenefits CRA web app and select “Email address”
  • provide your email address when you file a return with NETFILE software
  • enter your email address on a paper T1 Income Tax and Benefit return
  • provide your email address to your tax preparer who is filling out form T183 or who uses EFILE
  • contact the Individual Income Tax and Trust Enquiries by telephone
  • send a written request to the CRA

The email address you provide is the one we will use to tell you that you have new mail to view or that important changes were made on your account.

You are responsible for making sure we have your correct email address at all times.

After you register for email notifications

Once you register, we will send a confirmation email to the address you gave us. Depending on how you registered, you should receive your confirmation email within the following timelines:

  • immediately if you registered through My Account, MyCRA, or MyBenefits CRA
  • within 8 business days if you filed your return electronically (NETFILE/EFILE)
  • within 4-6 weeks if you filed your return by paper

If you do not get a confirmation email, log in to My Account, MyCRA, or MyBenefits CRA and check the email address on your profile. If the email address is incorrect, update it. If it is correct, check your junk mail folder for an email from the CRA.

How to know if the email notification you received is from the CRA

Emails sent from the CRA’s email notification service will have the sender name Canada Revenue Agency / Agence du Revenu du Canada.

The CRA will not do the following:

  • Send a link and ask you for personal or financial information
  • Request payment by prepaid credit cards, or gift cards
  • Use aggressive language or tone
  • Threaten arrest or to send police

If you’re unsure, log in to My Account and see if you have new mail to read.

For more information, find out how to protect yourself against fraud.

Differences between the online and paper versions of the notice of assessment or reassessment

Both the online and paper versions of the notice include all of the assessment information and are official CRA-issued federal income tax notices. However, there are differences between the online and the paper versions:

  • The online version in My Account includes information about registered retirement savings plans, the Home Buyers’ Plan, and the Lifelong Learning Plan in collapsible tabs. Links to additional information are provided at the bottom of the page.
  • The online version does not include a remittance form, a cheque, or payment information. Instead, you can use the “Request a remittance voucher” service in My Account or use the MyCRA web app to get a personalized paper remittance form, you can view your refund status within My Account or MyCRA, you can arrange a pre-authorized debit agreement in My Account or MyCRA, or you can use the “My Payment” service through the CRA website or MyCRA to make an online payment.
  • The online version does not include the general information printed on the back page of the paper version. Instead, general information is offered on the CRA website, and services like “Change my address”, “Change my return”, and “Register my formal dispute” are available in My Account. If you choose to print the PDF version available within “View mail”, general information will be printed on the last page.

What to do if you need a paper copy of a notice

If your bank or anyone else needs a paper copy of a notice of assessment after you sign up for email notifications, all you need to do is log in to My Account and print or download a copy. You can access and print copies of past notices of assessment (issued after February 9, 2015) anytime in My Account. Any notices issued to you after this date will be available as a print friendly PDF version within “View mail”.

Other email notifications you can receive about your account

You might receive an email notification from the CRA for other reasons, even if you are not registered for email notifications.

  • Audit enquiries – If you included an email address on your original audit enquiry submission form, we will email you when our response is available for you to view in My Account.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: