Frequently asked questions - How do I register?
- How do I register myself with Represent a Client?
- Why do I have to identify and validate myself using my personal information?
- What is a RepID?
- Is my RepID valid right away?
- How do I register my tax services business with your service?
- Who can register a business with this service?
- Can I use this service to register my business with the CRA?
1. How do I register myself with Represent a Client?
First, you will need to validate your identity and create a CRA user ID and password or sign in with a Sign-In Partner. Second, you will need to register with the service and get a representative identifier (RepID). Go to the Represent a Client Web page to get started.
To register your business, see How do I register my tax services business with your service?
If you are a non-resident representative living in the United States, you can register with Represent a Client. For more information see, Represent a Client – Non-resident representative.
2. Why do I have to identify and validate myself using my personal information?
The CRA is responsible for protecting confidential taxpayer information by preventing unauthorized access. The CRA can only disclose information about a taxpayer to the taxpayer or the taxpayer’s authorized representative(s). We need to identify you and make sure you are the person who has been authorized to access the taxpayer's information.
3. What is a RepID?
A RepID is a unique seven-character identifier you get when you register as a representative with the Represent a Client service. It is this identifier that you will give to anyone wanting to authorize you.
4. Is my RepID valid right away?
Yes. You can give your RepID right away to your clients, family, or friends to authorize you as their representative.
5. How do I register my tax services business with your service?
- Sign in with your CRA user ID and password.
- Register the business.
- View and agree to the Terms and Conditions of Use.
- Register your business as a representative.
Go to the Represent a Client Web page to get started.
6. Who can register a business with this service?
The person identified as the business owner, a partner, a director, or an officer on our CRA BN database can register the business for this service.
7. Can I use this service to register my business with the CRA?
No. Please go to the business number registration page for information about registering your business.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: