Employment outside Canada

On this page

Employment outside Canada is insurable if:

Even if these conditions are met, employment outside Canada is not insurable when it takes place outside Canada or partly outside Canada on a ship that is regularly employed in voyages between ports outside Canada and has been chartered to a person resident outside Canada or has a foreign registry or license.

The meaning of "ordinarily resident" in Canada

The concept of residence is an important element in determining whether employment outside Canada is insurable and/or pensionable. The basic principle is that a person is "ordinarily resident" in Canada if Canada is the place where the individual, in the settled routine of his or her life, regularly, normally, or customarily lives.

In making a determination of a person's residence status, all of the relevant facts must be considered, including residential ties with Canada and length of time, object, intention, and continuity with respect to stays in Canada and abroad.

Income Tax Folio S5-F1-C1, Determining an Individual's Residence Status, explains the factors considered in determining an individual's residence status.

Determination of residence status

A worker may request a determination of residence status by completing Form NR73, Determination of Residency Status (Leaving Canada), and sending it to the following address:

International tax and non-resident enquiries office
Post Office Box 20000, Station A
Sudbury ON P3A 5C1

The determination of residence status made by the International and Ottawa Tax Services Office will be used for the purposes of the Income Tax Act and will also be considered for the purposes of the Canada Pension Plan and Employment Insurance Act.

Employer deductions

CPP contributions

If you are a Canadian employer and you hire someone to work for you outside Canada, you should deduct CPP contributions if one of the following applies to you:

If the employment does not meet either of these conditions, the employment outside Canada is not pensionable. Do not deduct CPP from the employee's remuneration.

You have the option of extending CPP coverage for your employees and deducting contributions from employment outside Canada that is not usually pensionable employment if the conditions on Form CPT8, Application and Undertaking to Cover Employment Outside Canada Under the Canada Pension Plan are met. To extend coverage, fill out Form CPT8, and send two copies to your tax services office.


Do not use Form CPT8 if Canada has a reciprocal social security agreement with the country of employment. For the list of countries with which Canada has an agreement, go to Countries that have an agreement with Canada.

For more information on when employment outside Canada is pensionable, go to Employment outside Canada.

EI premiums

You have to deduct EI premiums from employment income an employee earns outside or partly outside Canada if all of these conditions apply:

For more information on when employment outside Canada is insurable, go to Employment outside Canada.

Income tax deductions

If an employee carry-out services for you outside Canada, you may have to deduct income tax from that employee's remuneration. The employee may be entitled to a foreign tax credit in Canada for taxes paid in the foreign jurisdiction. If so, the employee can request a letter of authority. If you are not sure if you should deduct income tax, call 1-800-959-5525.


Special deduction rules apply to employment on ships, trains, trucks, and aircraft. To find out more about these rules, send a written request to the CPP/EI Ruling Division of your tax services office.

Deducting income tax for employees working outside of Canada under a Global Affairs Canada program

You may be paying an employee for services under a Global Affairs program (formerly with the Canadian International Development Agency). If you are not sure about deducting income tax from that employee’s remuneration, call 1-800-959-5525.

Related topics

Page details

Date modified: