RESP contributions

You will be able to make contributions for a beneficiary only if either:

  • the beneficiary's social insurance number (SIN) is given to the promoter before the contribution is made and the beneficiary is a resident of Canada
  • the contribution is made by way of a transfer from another RESP under which the individual was a beneficiary immediately before the transfer


If the plan was entered into before 1999, the beneficiary's SIN will not be required. However, such contributions will continue to be ineligible for the Canada Education Savings Grant (CESG).

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: