Withdrawing from spousal or common-law partner RRSPs

This section will also apply to a spousal or common-law partner account under a specified pension plan (SPP).

A spousal or common-law partner RRSP is any of your RRSPs:

Generally, only the individual who is entitled to receive payments from the RRSP (the annuitant) can withdraw funds from an RRSP.

Calculating the income you and your spouse or common-law partner have to report

If you contributed to any spousal or common-law partner RRSP or your spouse’s account under an SPP in 2021, 2022 or 2023, you may have to include in your 2023 income all or part of:

See Example of how much income to report on each spouse's return.

Use Form T2205, Amounts from a Spousal or Common-law Partner RRSP, RRIF or SPP to Include in Income, to determine how much to include in your and your spouse's returns.

In all cases, the tax deducted has to be claimed by the individual to whom the slip is issued. In most cases, the information slip issued for the withdrawal will be in the name of the annuitant. However, report the income according to the calculations completed in Parts 1 and 2 of Form T2205.

Page details

Date modified: