Applying for a refund of tax overpayments

To get a refund of excess or incorrectly withheld Part XIII tax, a non-resident has to fill out Form NR7-R, Application for Refund of Part XIII Tax Withheld. The CRA has to receive this form no later than two years from the end of the calendar year in which the tax was sent to the CRA.

You may be a non-resident of Canada filing Form NR7-R, Application for Refund of Part XIII Tax Withheld. If so, you can ask the CRA to deposit your refund directly into your bank account at a Canadian financial institution by filling out and attaching Form NR304, Direct Deposit Request for Non-Resident Account Holders and NR7-R Refund Applicants. The name on the account must match the name of the applicant or the authorized person who signs the certification section on Form NR7-R. For more information, go to Direct deposit – Canada Revenue Agency.

Residents of Canada who receive an NR4 slip with non-resident tax withheld can get a credit for the amount withheld by including the slip with their Canadian Income Tax and Benefit Return.

For more information on Part XIII tax, go to Information Circular IC77-16R, Non-Resident Income Tax.

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: