Canada Learning Bond for 18 to 20 year olds – How to apply

From: Employment and Social Development Canada

3. How to apply

You have up until the day before you turn 21 to open a registered education savings plan (RESP) and apply for the Canada Learning Bond (CLB). If you are eligible, you are able to apply for the CLB once you turn 18 years of age.

You do not need to have a bank account to open an RESP, and you do not need to put money into the RESP to receive the CLB.

To request the CLB, you will need:

  1. a valid social insurance number (SIN):
  2. a registered education savings plan (RESP):
    • if you do not have a registered education savings plan (RESP), contact an RESP promoter that offers the CLB
    • some promoters offer options to open an RESP online, over the phone, or in-person
    • the RESP promoter will help you complete the application form for the CLB. They will submit your application to the Government of Canada on your behalf

Once the Government of Canada deposits the CLB into your RESP, you can use the money to help pay for your education expenses right away, or keep your RESP open to save the money for your future education. You do not need to decide right away. An RESP can stay open for 35 years.

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: