Guaranteed Income Supplement – Eligibility

2. Eligibility

You qualify for the GIS if you meet all of the following conditions:

Using your income information from your federal Income Tax and Benefit Return, we will review your eligibility for the GIS every year. If you still qualify, your benefit will be automatically renewed. In July, you will receive a letter telling you:

  • that your benefit will be renewed;
  • that your benefit will be stopped, or
  • that your income information is required.

You were selected for automatic enrollment in the Old Age Security pension

If you were automatically enrolled in the OAS pension, you should apply for your GIS three months before your 65th birthday.

Sponsored immigrants

If you are a sponsored immigrant and you have resided in Canada less than 10 years after age 18, you are not eligible to receive an OAS income-tested benefit (i.e. GIS, the Allowance or the Allowance for the Survivor) during your sponsorship period unless your sponsor:

  • suffers personal bankruptcy;
  • is imprisoned for more than six months;
  • is convicted of abusing you; or
  • dies.

Non-sponsored immigrants

If you are a non-sponsored immigrant, you may be eligible to receive the GIS based on the number of years you have resided in Canada after age 18.

If you have lived in Canada for fewer than 10 years since you turned 18, but you have lived or worked in a country that has a social security agreement with Canada, you may be eligible for a partial benefit. Your GIS entitlement will gradually increase with every year that you continue to reside in Canada until you have reached 10 years of residence. For more information, see Lived or living outside Canada.

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Privacy statement

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: