Apply to be a Canadian Armed Forces musician

If you are a Canadian citizen with professional music skills we encourage you to join the Music Branch of the Canadian Armed Forces.

You can apply for:

  • a full time position in the Regular Force
  • a part-time position in the Primary Reserve Force

If you are already enrolled in the Canadian Armed Forces, inform your chain of command before applying.

Full–time Regular Force positions

Apply to be Regular Force musician

Part–time Reserve Force positions

Apply to be Reserve Force musician

If you are already enrolled in the Canadian Armed Forces

Inform your chain of command that you intend to apply for a Regular Force musician position. Then submit a Phase I audition recording.

If you are selected to participate in a Phase II “Live Audition”, your home unit will take care of:

  • the component transfer (CT), if you are now a Reserve Force musician
  • the occupational transfer (OT), if you are now a CAF military personnel, but not enrolled as a musician

This includes your travel arrangements and travel claim to attend the audition competition.

Questions about auditions

All CAF Music Branch audition questions should be directed to the DHH - Music:


Ask us a question about CAF Music branch.

Questions about recruitment

For more information about joining the Canadian Armed forces and learning about the military component of the Music branch, questions can be directed to the recruitment department.

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: