Share ideas: first draft technical guide on the strategic assessment of climate change
Current status: open
Consultations are from August 11 to December 3, 2021 (extended deadline).
Environment and Climate Change Canada (ECCC) is seeking comments on the Draft Technical Guide Related to the Strategic Assessment of Climate Change: Guidance on quantification of net GHG emissions, impact on carbon sinks, mitigation measures, net-zero plan and upstream GHG assessment.
The Government of Canada is putting in place better rules for major projects to protect the environment and communities, advance reconciliation with Indigenous peoples, and ensure good projects can go forward, creating good jobs and economic opportunities for Canadians.
As part of these rules, Environment and Climate Change Canada published the Strategic Assessment of Climate Change (SACC) in 2020. The SACC enables consistent, predictable, efficient and transparent consideration of climate change throughout the Impact Assessment Process.
This draft technical guide provides a description of:
- how a project’s GHG emissions are to be estimated throughout the Impact Assessment Process, including upstream emissions and impacts on carbon sinks where applicable;
- the best available technologies / best environmental practices determination process that all projects are required to complete in the Impact Assessment Process;
- the information required in the net-zero plan for projects with a lifetime beyond 2050.
Who is the focus of this consultation?
We would like to hear from:
- Indigenous peoples
- Provincial and territorial governments
- Industry stakeholders
- Non-governmental organizations
- General public
Join in: how to participate
Email your comments to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Send your comments to the address in the Contact us section below.
To learn how we will protect your privacy during this consultation, please carefully review our privacy statement.
Environment and Climate Change Canada
Strategic Assessment of Climate Change – Draft Technical Guide
351 boul. St-Joseph, 12th floor
Gatineau, QC K1A 0H3
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: