Canada’s National Adaptation Strategy: Building Resilient Communities and a Strong Economy
The impacts of climate change and extreme weather are affecting our lives in Canada. We are already experiencing record-breaking climate events – from wildfires to extreme heat waves to floods – all across the country. Pervasive and slow onset events like permafrost thaw and sea-level rise are changing landscapes and threatening safety and livelihoods.
The choices and adaptation actions we take today will help decide the future of our communities, our livelihoods, our environment, and our economy. We must act now to create a climate resilient society.
Canada’s first National Adaptation Strategy outlines a shared path and sets common direction for a more climate resilient Canada through:
- Resilient roads, bridges, sewers and other infrastructure
- Healthier communities
- Enhanced biodiversity and nature conservation
- A more climate resilient economy and workers
Our Path to Climate-Ready Communities: The Government of Canada Adaptation Action Plan
The Government of Canada Adaptation Action Plan outlines how the federal government is contributing to implementing the National Adaptation Strategy. It provides a framework to organize federal adaptation actions going forward. The Government of Canada is making targeted choices to help meet the Strategy’s goals and objectives, while respecting the federal government’s role and authority for action.
The federal action plan organizes targeted measures in the five areas that are laid out in the Strategy:
- Disaster Resilience
- Health and Wellbeing
- Nature and Biodiversity
- Economy and Workers
The federal action plan will complement the adaptation work and strategies of provinces, territories and Indigenous partners. In addition to the federal plan, separate provincial and territorial action plans will advance efforts on shared priorities, and Indigenous climate leadership will support self-determined action. Taken together, these efforts will make Canada more climate resilient as the country continues to face the impacts of climate change, now and in the future.
- Engagement on the National Adaptation Strategy
- Canada in a Changing Climate reports
- Engaging Canadians on a National Adaptation Strategy to build a climate ready economy and communities (May 16, 2022)
- Government of Canada releases Adapting to the Impacts of Climate Change in Canada: an update on the National Adaptation Strategy (August 11, 2021)
- Map of Adaptation Actions
- Disaster Mitigation and Adaptation Fund
- Canada's Climate Actions for a Healthy Environment and a Healthy Economy
- Canadian Centre for Climate Services
For more information: Adaptation@ec.gc.ca
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: