Long-Term Disability summary
Long-term disability insurance benefits under the Public Service Management Insurance Plan (PSMIP-LTD) are provided to eligible employees of the public service, including eligible members of certain designated groups, who become totally disabled and are unable to work. The PSMIP-LTD covers employees excluded from collective bargaining, certain designated groups and associate members and executives of the public service.
For information on the other insurance benefits and/or compensation programs which may be available to you when you are absent from work for health reasons, refer to Workplace Health and Disability.
Public Service Management Insurance Plan Long-Term Disability
This summary does not contain all details nor describe all limits, restrictions or exclusions. Refer to your PSMIP-LTD section under the Public Service Management Insurance Plan (Document and the Main Plan Booklet/Executive Plan Booklet for additional details.
- Mandatory coverage for full-time and part-time employees who are appointed for more than 6 months (part-time employees must work more than ⅓ of the normal work week) or who have completed 6 months of continuous employment
- No application required
- Coverage effective on the date you become eligible
- Monthly taxable benefit equal to 70% of your monthly salary
- Payable after 13 continuous weeks of total disability, or when your paid sick leave is exhausted, whichever is later
- Benefits reduced by your other sources of income
- Indexation up to a maximum of 3% annually to reflect cost of living
- Rehabilitation provisions
- Pre-existing conditions exclusion may apply if disability commences within the first 24 months after you become eligible for coverage
- No benefits payable beyond age 65
- If you are an excluded employee, the Government of Canada pays 85% of the premium and you pay the remaining 15%
- If you are an executive, the Government of Canada pays 100% of the premium
- Provisions when receiving PSMIP-LTD benefits
- Provisions when on leave without pay
- When your employment terminates
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: