Support for Distribution – Canada Book Fund
The Support for Distribution component of the Canada Book Fund (CBF) is designed to provide temporary emergency financial relief to Canadian book distributors in the context of the COVID-19 pandemic. The CBF’s Support for Distribution supports the Canadian book industry by helping Canadian book distributors to maintain their operations and support the sale of Canadian books. This support will contribute to maintain a robust book supply chain, ensuring access to a diverse range of Canadian books.
The CBF’s Support for Distribution provides financial support to individual Canadian-owned and controlled book distributors so that they can:
- continue meeting their financial obligations toward Canadian publishers for the sale of their books
- offer flexibility to Canadian book retailers with respect to terms of payment and provide other financial advantages in support of the sale of Canadian books
Who can apply
At the time of the application, and through to the end of the term of any contribution agreement between you and the CBF, your organization must:
- have completed at least 12 months of operation as a book distributor
- be at least 75% owned and controlled by Canadians
- have its headquarters and at least 75% of its employees based in Canada
- be a private sector firm, a not-for-profit organization or a university press
If your organization is a publisher that received funding from the CBF’s Support for Publishers in 2020-2021, it must also meet the following requirements:
- be the distributor in Canada of Canadian-authored print books published by a minimum of 2 Canadian publishers (in addition to your own titles, if applicable)
- have eligible net sales of at least $100,000 from distribution activities during the reference year
If your organization is not a 2020-2021 Support for Publishers recipient, it must meet the following requirements:
- be the distributor in Canada of Canadian-authored print books published by a minimum of 3 Canadian publishers
- have eligible net sales of at least $200,000 from distribution activities during the reference year
- demonstrate that the revenue related to the distribution of print books represented more than 50% of its total revenues during the reference year (excluding government assistance received during that same year)
Eligible net sales thresholds do not apply to not-for-profit organizations (for example, cooperatives).
Full eligibility requirements are detailed in the Application Guidelines.
September 18, 2020, by 5 pm (PST).
How to apply
Applicants are required to:
- read the Application Guidelines in their entirety
- contact the CBF to request an application package
- fill out the application form and submit it along with the required supporting documents.
- Canada Book Fund
Department of Canadian Heritage
25 Eddy St 25-8-T
Gatineau QC K1A 0M5
- 1-888-997-3123 (toll-free)
Agents are available to answer your questions, Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 5 pm (ET).
Guides and help
- Application Guidelines — Support for Distribution
- Guide on the public acknowledgement of financial support — Canadian Heritage
- Service standards for Canadian Heritage funding programs
Related services and information
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: