DAOD 1000-9, Policy Framework for Department of National Defence Employee Management
Table of Contents
Date of Issue: 2017-01-20
Application: This Defence Administrative Order and Directive (DAOD) is a directive that applies to employees of the Department of National Defence (DND employees) and an order that applies to officers and non-commissioned members of the Canadian Armed Forces (CAF members).
- Deputy Minister of National Defence (DM)
- Chief of the Defence Staff (CDS)
Enquiries: Director Strategic Corporate Services (DSCS)
2.1 This policy framework DAOD sets out the functional areas for DND employee management in which the Assistant Deputy Minister (Human Resources – Civilian) [ADM(HR-Civ)] has been assigned functional authority to develop and issue policy and instructional DAODs. In developing DAODs within this framework, the ADM(HR-Civ) is encouraged to proceed in a collaborative and consultative manner to ensure policy coherence.
2.2 This DAOD must be read in conjunction with DAOD 1000-0, Foundation Framework for Defence Administrative Orders and Directives.
Use of Other Instruments
2.3 The ADM(HR-Civ) may also develop and issue manuals, standard operating procedures and other similar instruments other than DAODs in an assigned functional area to provide detailed instruction and guidance for DND employees and CAF members. These other instruments must be identified in an appropriate policy or instructional DAOD issued by the ADM(HR-Civ).
Assigned Functional Areas
3.1 The DM and the CDS assign functional authority to the ADM(HR-Civ) to develop and issue DAODs in the following functional areas of DND employee management:
- DND employee human resources management;
- DND employees on Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) operations;
- change management; and
- joint with the Chief of Military Personnel:
- conflict resolution;
- harassment and discrimination prevention and resolution;
- common DND employee and CAF member learning and professional development;
- official languages; and
- employment equity and diversity.
Assignment of Duties by the CDS
3.2 With the approval of this DAOD, the CDS assigns duties to the ADM(HR-Civ) to issue appropriate DAODs and other instruments as required in the ADM(HR-Civ) functional areas. By this assignment of duties, the ADM(HR-Civ) may issue DAODs and other instruments as orders to CAF members, in accordance with QR&O article 1.235, Authority of Other Persons to Issue Orders and Instructions, that are required to give effect to the decisions and carry out the directions of the Government of Canada and the Minister of National Defence.
4.1 The Corporate Administrative Management Policy Steering Committee (CAMPSC) must ensure that the functional areas listed in paragraph 3.1 are reviewed every five years and, if necessary, modified to ensure that the authorizations are still current.
DAOD Monitoring and Reporting
4.2 Monitoring of the DAODs authorized under this DAOD must be conducted by the ADM(HR-Civ) or as otherwise directed by the DM or the CDS. Each DAOD issued under this policy framework must be reviewed every three to five years, as determined by the ADM(HR-Civ). The review schedule of the DAODs must be provided by the ADM(HR-Civ) to the DSCS, who collates and manages the information for periodic review by the CAMPSC.
4.3 The ADM(HR-Civ) may address compliance in the DAODs issued under this policy framework.
Consequences of Non-Compliance
4.4 Non-compliance with this DAOD may have consequences for both the Department of National Defence and the CAF as institutions.
5.1 In the case of any non-compliance with this DAOD, the ADM(HR-Civ) may notify the DM or the CDS, as applicable.
Acts, Regulations, Central Agency Policies and Policy DAOD
- QR&O article 1.235, Authority of Other Persons to Issue Orders and Instructions
- DAOD 1000-0, Foundation Framework for the Defence Administrative Orders and Directives
- DAOD 1000-1, Defence Administrative Orders and Directives
- DAOD 1000-4, Policy Framework for Materiel and Asset Management
- DAOD 1000-5, Policy Framework for Financial Management
- DAOD 1000-6, Policy Framework for Information and Information Technology Management
- DAOD 1000-7, Policy Framework for Military Personnel Management
- DAOD 1000-8, Policy Framework for Safety and Security Management
- DAOD 1000-10, Policy Framework for Corporate Administration Management
- DAOD 1000-11, Policy Framework for Infrastructure and Environment Management
- DAOD Development Guide
- DAOD Development Process
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: