DAOD 3020-0, Transportation
Table of Contents
Date of Issue: 2000-05-29
Date of Last Modification: 2014-08-26
Application: This DAOD is a directive that applies to employees of the Department of National Defence (DND employees) and an order that applies to officers and non-commissioned members of the Canadian Armed Forces (CAF members).
Approval Authority: Director of Staff, Strategic Joint Staff (DOS SJS)
Enquiries: Strategic J4 Transportation (Strat J4 Tn)
The activity involved in the change of location of personnel and materiel.
Note – Movement involves a range of functions that includes planning, coordination and movement control, and utilizes transportation assets, related infrastructure and information systems. (Defence Terminology Bank record number 927)
transport (moyen de transport)
The means of conveyance, including infrastructure and requisite material handling equipment, for the movement of personnel and materiel. (Defence Terminology Bank record number 48070)
The system of infrastructure, organizations, facilities and equipment that is necessary for the movement of personnel and materiel during deployment, sustainment and re-deployment. (Defence Terminology Bank record number 1483)
3.1 The DND and the CAF are required to move personnel and materiel during domestic and international operations and training. This movement should be accomplished in the most efficient and effective manner possible, using any combination of land, sea and air resources.
3.2 Transportation is generally composed of the following three main domains:
- transport; and
- postal services.
3.3 Regulating the transportation of dangerous goods is necessary to prevent harm to human health, the environment and property.
3.4 The DND and the CAF are committed to providing transportation that is effective and efficient in order to ensure optimal support to domestic and international operations and training.
3.5 The DND and the CAF must utilize transportation resources in accordance with applicable federal acts, regulations, policies and guidelines and, if appropriate, provincial and territorial acts, regulations and guidelines.
3.6 The Strat J4 Tn must notify the DOS SJS of any non-compliance with this DAOD.
Consequences of Non-Compliance
4.1 Non-compliance with this DAOD may have consequences for both the DND and the CAF as institutions, and for DND employees and CAF members as individuals. Suspected non-compliance will be investigated. The nature and severity of the consequences resulting from actual non-compliance will be commensurate with the circumstances of the non-compliance.
Note – In respect of the compliance of DND employees, see the Treasury Board Framework for the Management of Compliance for additional information.
5.1 The following table identifies the authorities associated with this DAOD:
|The ...||has or have the authority to ...|
Minister of National Defence, Deputy Minister, Chief of the Defence Staff, Vice Chief of the Defence Staff and Director of Staff, Strategic Joint Staff
environmental chiefs of staff and group principals
Commander, Canadian Joint Operations Command
Strat J4 Tn
Acts, Regulations, Central Agency Policies and Policy DAOD
- Framework for the Management of Compliance, Treasury Board
- Policy Framework for the Management of Assets and Acquired Services, Treasury Board
- Directive on Fleet Management: Executive Vehicles, Treasury Board
- Directive on Fleet Management: Light Duty Vehicles, Treasury Board
- DAOD 3020-1, DND Vehicle Use for Ground Transportation and Driver Licensing
- DAOD 3029-0, Movement of Materiel (under development)
- A-LM-117-001/FP-001, Transportation of Dangerous Goods by Military Aircraft
- A-LM-158-001/AG-001, Transportation Manual, Volume 1, General
- A-LM-158-004/AG-001, Transportation Manual, Volume 4, Movement of Materiel
- A-LM-158-005/AG-001, Transport Manual
- C-02-040-010/MB-001, Driver’s Policies – Rules and Regulations for Drivers of DND Vehicles
- C-02-040-010/MB-003, Driver’s Manual for Transport of Dangerous Goods
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: