DAOD 3029-0 - Movement of Materiel and Baggage
Date of Issue: 2014-08-26
Date of Last Modification: 2017-03-23
Application: This DAOD is a directive that applies to employees of the Department of National Defence (DND employees) and an order that applies to officers and non-commissioned members of the Canadian Armed Forces (CAF members).
Approval Authority: Director of Staff, Strategic Joint Staff (DOS SJS)
Enquiries: Strategic Joint Staff J4 Transportation (Strat J4 Tn)
A suitcase or other container packed with personal belongings to be transported. (Defence Terminology Bank record number 694475)
All public property, other than real property, immovables and money, provided for the Canadian Forces or for any other purpose under this Act, and includes any vessel, vehicle, aircraft, animal, missile, arms, ammunition, clothing, stores, provisions or equipment so provided. (Subsection 2(1) of the National Defence Act)
The activity involved in the change of location of personnel, materiel and baggage.
Note – Movement involves a range of functions that includes planning, coordination and movement control, and utilizes transportation assets, related infrastructure and information systems. (Defence Terminology Bank record number 927)
3.1 Movement includes the shipping of dangerous goods, new materiel from suppliers, materiel to and from repair and overhaul facilities, and materiel and baggage to and from bases and other locations.
3.2 The DND and the CAF are committed to the conduct of the effective and efficient movement of materiel and baggage that:
- meets operational and personnel requirements;
- complies with applicable federal acts, regulations, policies and guidelines and, if appropriate, provincial and territorial acts, regulations and guidelines; and
- ensures the safety and security of personnel, materiel and baggage.
3.3 The DND and the CAF must:
- use the National Movement and Distribution System (NDMS) as a system of record to appropriately control and account for the movement of materiel and baggage;
- ensure that DND employees and CAF members involved in the movement of materiel and baggage are appropriately qualified and trained, including training in respect of the transportation of dangerous goods, contracting certification and controlled goods; and
- ensure the cleaning, disinfection and disinfestation of materiel, and personal belongings in baggage, entering Canada that may be contaminated with soil, or leaving areas within Canada regulated for soil-borne plant pests and animal diseases.
3.4 All DND employees and CAF members involved in the movement of controlled goods must have successfully completed the Controlled Goods General Awareness Course available on the Defence Learning Network.
Consequences of Non Compliance
4.1 Non-compliance with this DAOD may have consequences for both the DND and the CAF as institutions, and for DND employees and CAF members as individuals. Suspected non-compliance may be investigated. The nature and severity of the consequences resulting from actual non-compliance will be commensurate with the circumstances of the non-compliance.
Note – In respect of the compliance of DND employees, see the Treasury Board Framework for the Management of Compliance for additional information.
5.1 The following table identifies the authorities associated with this DAOD:
|The ...||has or have the authority to …|
|Minister of National Defence, Deputy Minister, Chief of the Defence Staff, Vice Chief of the Defence Staff and DOS SJS||
|level one advisors and commanders of commands||
|Commander, Canadian Joint Operations Command||
|Strat J4 Tn||
|officers commanding bases, wings and air movements sections||
Acts, Regulations, Central Agency Policies and Policy DAOD
- Defence Production Act
- Contracting Policy, Treasury Board
- Framework for the Management of Compliance, Treasury Board
- Policy on Government Security, Treasury Board
- DAOD 3020-0, Transportation
- DAOD 3003-0, Controlled Goods
- DAOD 3020-1, DND Vehicle Use for Ground Transport and Driver Licensing
- DAOD 3029-1, Cleaning, Disinfection and Disinfestation of Vehicles, Military Equipment and Personal Goods Entering Canada and Leaving Areas Within Canada Regulated for Soil-Borne Plant Pests and Animal Diseases
- A-FN-100-002/AG-006, Delegation of Authorities for Financial Administration for the Department of National Defence (DND) and the Canadian Armed Forces (CAF)
- A-LM-117-001/FP-001, Transportation of Dangerous Goods by Canadian Forces Aircraft
- A-LM-158-004/AG-001, Transportation Manual, Volume 4, Movement of Materiel
- National Defence Security Orders and Directives
- National Movement and Distribution System
- Statement of Defence Ethics
- Defence Learning Network
- International Air Transport Association (available in English only)
- International Civil Aviation Organization
- Transportation of Dangerous Goods, Transport Canada
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: