DAOD 3034-0, Configuration Management for Defence Systems
Date of Issue: 2019-06-28
Application: This DAOD is a directive that applies to employees of the Department of National Defence (DND employees) and an order that applies to officers and non-commissioned members of the Canadian Armed Forces (CAF members).
Supersession: NDHQ Policy Directive P1/91, Configuration Management Policy for Defence Systems
Approval Authority: Assistant Deputy Minister (Materiel) (ADM(Mat))
Enquiries: Director Materiel Policy and Procedures (DMPP)
configuration item (élément de configuration)
An aggregation of hardware and/or software, or any discrete portions thereof, designated or monitored for configuration management. (Defence Terminology Bank record number 36734)
configuration management (gestion de configuration)
A discipline applying technical and administrative direction and surveillance to the following activities:
- configuration identification and documentation;
- configuration control;
- configuration status accounting; and
- configuration audits.
(Defence Terminology Bank record number 20159)
configuration management plan (plan de gestion de la configuration)
The plan that delineates the policies, procedures and responsible agencies, integral to the configuration management of all aspects of a Configuration Item during its entire service life. (Defence Terminology Bank record number 36735)
defence system (système de défense)
A weapons system or a defence support system. (Defence Terminology Bank record number 46905)
3.1 This DAOD sets out the configuration management (CM) policy for all defence systems managed by the DND and the CAF. CM ensures that:
- a known configuration of a defence system is maintained throughout its life cycle;
- a defence system remains fit for purpose;
- all configuration changes are methodically controlled and documented; and
- unnecessary corrective actions, delays, low productivity and unmanageable product evolution are avoided.
3.2 DND ratified North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) Standardization Agreement (STANAG) 4427, Configuration Management in System Life Cycle Management. This DAOD aligns the DND and the CAF with the STANAG. Both the STANAG and EIA-649-B, Configuration Management Standard, describe the CM process throughout the life cycle of a defence system.
3.3 The DND and the CAF are committed to applying CM throughout the life cycle of a defence system in order to:
- properly track and control the configuration; and
- optimize both operational and materiel support benefits.
3.4 The DND and the CAF must:
- determine whether the Crown requires the technical data of a defence system for CM purposes;
- designate configuration items;
- establish a configuration management plan (CMP) during the definition phase of the acquisition of a defence system;
- enforce the CMP through each subsequent stage of the life cycle, including the disposal stage;
- archive CM records upon disposal of a defence system; and
- offer CM training, tools and recommendations for best practices.
4.1 Should clarification of the policy statement, requirements or authorities set out in this DAOD be required, DND employees and CAF members may seek direction through their channel of communication or chain of command, as appropriate. The anticipated results set out in the policy statement may not be achieved by the DND and the CAF if the requirements specified in this DAOD are not properly implemented. Not achieving the anticipated results could affect the ability of the DND and the CAF to ensure that the CAF is prepared to undertake missions for the protection of Canada and Canadians and the maintenance of international peace and stability.
5.1 The following table identifies the authorities associated with this DAOD:
|The...||has or have the authority to...|
commanders of the Royal Canadian Navy, Canadian Army, Royal Canadian Air Force, Canadian Joint Operations Command and Canadian Special Operations Forces Command
Director General Land Equipment Program Management, Director General Aerospace Equipment Program Management, Director General Maritime Equipment Program Manangement, Director General Major Project Delivery (Air and Land), Director General Major Project Delivery (Sea) and DMPP
Acts, Regulations, Central Agency Policies and Policy DAOD
- DAOD 1000-4, Policy Framework for Materiel and Asset Management
- DAOD 3000-0, Materiel Acquisition and Support
- DAOD 3033-0, Systems Engineering
- DAOD 3035-0, Materiel Assurance (in draft)
- D-01-002-007/SG-001, Requirements for the Preparations of Configuration Management Plans
- D-01-002-007/SG-006, Criteria for the Selection of Configuration Items
- D-02-006-008/SG-001, The Design Change, Deviation and Waiver Procedure (available in English only)
- NATO Standard ACMP-2000, Policy on Configuration Management
- SRD-2009-49, NATO-US Configuration Management Contract Scoping Tool (available in English only)
- STANAG 4427, Configuration Management in System Life Cycle Management
- EIA-649-B, Configuration Management Standard (available in English only)
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: