Part 2 - Main Benefits
Chapter 5. Interim Lodgings, Meals and Miscellaneous Expenses (ILM&M)
On this page
- 5.01 General
- 5.02 Entitlement
- 5.03 Additional entitlements
- 5.04 Pack, load, clean, unload, and unpack days
- 5.05 Extra clean day
- 5.06 Early pack, load and clean
- 5.07 HHT after date
- 5.08 Meal entitlements
- 5.09 Commercial lodgings
- 5.10 Non-Commercial lodgings
- 5.11 Miscellaneous allowance
- 5.12 Dependant care assistance
- This chapter sets out the entitlement to reimbursement for ILM&M, and is subject to certain limitations and enhancements provided for in Part 3 of this directive.
- A member is responsible in accordance with CAFRD 2.2.01 to use best efforts to minimize the amount of ILM&M. When a change of RFD date would reduce ILM&M, it is the member’s responsibility to request the change through their chain of command in accordance with CAFRD 2.3.01.
- As noted in CAFRD 9.1.02 (HG&E packing, loading and delivery), some HG&E move activities may take place on a weekend or statutory holiday.
- A member is entitled to be reimbursed ILM&M for the member and each dependant who is moving, when the member’s HG&E:
- are being packed and loaded;
- are being unloaded and unpacked; and
- are necessarily separated from the member and dependants.
- 1.1 The ILM&M entitlement is intended to reimburse expenses incurred at the move origin and the move destination. After arrival at destination, a member may be reimbursed for ILM&M at a third location while awaiting delivery of their HG&E. In such cases, the following conditions apply:
- the member must be on paid leave;
- the member must be within 500 km direct road distance of the move destination;
- reimbursement shall not exceed the amount payable at the move destination; and
- the provisions at paragraph (2) of CAFRD 5.08 (Meal entitlements) continue to apply, in that the member’s entitlement to ILM&M ceases on the first day that the moving company can deliver the HG&E to the new residence once it is available for occupancy.
- A member who is moving from furnished accommodations at origin to furnished accommodations at destination is not entitled to be reimbursed ILM&M, unless the member is required to vacate the furnished accommodations at origin in advance of their departure, or if the furnished accommodations at destination are not available on arrival.
- When a member or a dependant will travel separately to the new place of duty in accordance with CAFRD 6.05 (Separate travel), reimbursement of ILM&M is limited to the actual days the person(s) participates in the activity at paragraph (1).
(T) (amended, effective 1 March 2022)
5.03 Additional entitlements
In addition to the benefits outlined in this chapter, a member may be entitled to reimbursement under CAFRD:
5.04 Pack, load, clean, unload, and unpack days
- A member is entitled to be reimbursed ILM&M, funded from the Core Account, for:
- the pack, load and clean days – up to three days/nights at origin; and
- the unload and unpack days – up to two days/nights at destination.
- These entitlements are in addition to those described for ILM&M while awaiting availability of the new residence or of HG&E for delivery (see CAFRD subsections 5.07 through 5.11).
- When the pack & load days occur earlier than normal and the local authority certifies that the earlier pack/load was required by the movers, the additional days of ILM&M required will be added to the pack, load and clean entitlements.
- When the pack & load dates or the unload & unpack dates are unavoidably separated by a weekend and/or statutory holiday in which the moving company is unable to conduct those activities, additional ILM&M days are reimbursable under this subsection for those weekend and/or statutory holiday days.
- Any unused entitlement at origin is forfeited when TNL under Chapter 6 commences.
5.05 Extra clean day
- On approval by the local authority in exceptional cases, a member is entitled to be reimbursed one additional day of ILM&M when required for additional professional cleaning and/or house inspection of the accommodation being vacated.
- This additional day is funded from the Custom Account.
5.06 Early pack, load and clean
A member may be authorized early pack, load and clean for non-service reasons; however:
- reimbursement of ILM&M will be limited to the number of days that would have been paid if the member had not been authorized an early pack, load and clean; and
- additional costs associated with the early pack, load and clean (such as additional SIT/SIV for the HG&E at destination, etc.) are the responsibility of the member.
5.07 HHT after COS date
- A member is entitled to receive HHT benefits immediately upon arrival at their new place of duty and to receive additional ILM&M expenses if the member was unable to conduct an HHT before their move for one of the following reasons:
- the member was posted immediately upon graduation from training;
- the member received their posting message 45 days or less before their COS date;
- the member received their DCBA move authorization message to move under Chapter 13 for a period of Class “B” or “C” Reserve service 45 days or less before the start date of that service; or
- any other service reason as certified by the local authority of the losing unit.
- In addition to the ILM&M benefits provided in CAFRD subsections 5.08 to 5.11, the member is entitled to be reimbursed for:
- five days of HHT expenses in accordance with Chapter 4 in order to secure accommodations; and
- a further five days of ILM&M funded from the Core Account in order to arrange the movement of their (D)HG&E and to await the availability of their new accommodations.
5.08 Meal entitlements
- In addition to the days reimbursed under CAFRD subsections 5.04, 5.05 and 5.07, a member is entitled to be reimbursed from the Core Account for meal expenses, under:
- The meal entitlement under this subsection ceases on the first day that the moving company can deliver the HG&E to the new residence once it is available for occupancy.
Basic meal entitlement:
- Subject to paragraph (2), a member is entitled to be reimbursed a full daily meal allowance per person for up to 10 calendar days.
Supplemental meal entitlement:
- Subject to paragraphs (2) and (5), a member is entitled to be reimbursed per person for up to an additional 20 calendar days at:
- 65% of the full daily meal allowance without receipts; or
- up to 100% of the full daily meal allowance with receipts – exclusive of tips and alcohol. No personal declaration will be accepted for meals.
- This supplemental meal entitlement will only be authorized if the appropriate local authority confirms that owing to delays beyond the member’s control as described in paragraph (6), HG&E was not available for delivery or the member was not able to take occupancy of the new residence.
- A delay will be considered to be outside the member’s control if it is caused by:
- the CAF;
- a Department of the Government of Canada or of a province, or a contracted agent of either;
- an authority of a foreign Government or their contracted agent;
- a natural disaster or a severe weather event;
- a labour disruption; or
- a criminal activity committed by someone other than the member or their dependant.
5.09 Commercial lodgings
- A member is entitled to be reimbursed for commercial lodgings expenses set out in Section 3.2 as follows:
- from the Core Account,
- the same number of days for which there is a meal entitlement payable under CAFRD subsections 5.04, 5.07 and 5.08, and
- additional nights of commercial lodgings when the appropriate local authority confirms that owing to delays beyond the member’s control as described at paragraph (6) of CAFRD 5.08, HG&E was not available for delivery or the member was not able to take occupancy of the new residence; and
- from the Custom Account, one additional night of commercial lodgings in the circumstances set out at CAFRD 5.05.
- from the Core Account,
- Reimbursement under this subsection is limited by the ACRD rates at the move origin and the move destination, as applicable.
5.10 Non-Commercial lodgings
Entitlements are reimbursed in accordance with Section 3.2 and the following:
- from the Core Account, the number of nights for which there is an entitlement to commercial lodgings funded from the Core Account under CAFRD 5.09; and
- from the Custom Account, one additional night if granted under CAFRD 5.05.
5.11 Miscellaneous allowance
- For each day of entitlement to meals or lodging expenses, the member and each dependant is entitled to receive a miscellaneous allowance.
- This allowance is funded from the same spending account as the meals or lodgings expenses are funded from.
5.12 Dependant care assistance
- This benefit applies in respect of the Pack, Load, Clean, Unload and Unpack days only.
- A member is entitled to be reimbursed dependant care expenses that are in excess of existing dependant care arrangements for:
- dependants under 12 years of age; and
- dependants 12 years of age or over who are incapable of caring for themselves due to a physical or mental disability.
- The daily maximum amount for dependant care expenses, with a declaration or a receipt as applicable, as established by the NJC Travel Directive, is reimbursed from the Core Account.
- Dependant care expenses in excess of the daily maximum amount at paragraph (3) are reimbursed from the Custom Account.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: