Instructions for completing the Reserve Force – Compensation during a Period of Injury, Disease or Illness form
In accordance with National Defence Security Policy, form DND 2398 - Reserve Force - Compensation during a Period of Injury, Disease or Illness is designated "Protected B" information once completed. Completed "Protected B" forms MUST NOT BE SAVED UNENCRYTED on any network and workstation drive or storage media. "Protected B" forms, when completed, MUST BE ENCRYPTED USING THE DND ISSUED PKI SMARTCARD. Failure to respect this requirement will result in a breach of security and sanctions shall be applied in accordance with the policy.
Title: Reserve Force Compensation during a Period of Injury, Disease or Illness
Number: DND 2398 (07-2022)
Category: Protected B (when completed)
- This form is for the application of Reserve Force Compensation and does not replace the requirement for a Summary Investigation or a Board of Inquiry IAW QR&O Chapter 21.
- For all requests for Reserve Force Compensation under CBI 210.72, a completed DND 2398 is to be forwarded to DCSM through the chain of command in a timely fashion.
- Before completing the application for Compensation during a Period of Injury, Disease or Illness (DND 2398), the Assisting Officer should be familiar with the following references:
- QR&O 34.07 – Entitlement to Medical Care
- CBI 210.72 – Reserve Force – Compensation during a Period of Injury, Disease or Illness
- DAOD 5018-2 – Report of Injuries and Exposure to Toxic Substances
- DAOD 5023-2 – Physical Fitness Program
- DAOD 5045-0 – Canadian Forces Personnel Support Programs
- CMP Instruction 20/04 – Administrative Policy of Class “A”, Class “B” and Class “C” Reserve Service
- CANFORGEN 175/11 – Entitlements of Reservists to CF Health Care
- CANFORGEN 183/11 – Career Transition Support Policy for Severely Injured or Ill CF members
- CANFORGEN 074/14 – Reserve Force Compensation during a period of Injury, Disease or Illness under the Government Employees Compensation Act (GECA)
- Caution. To avoid any misunderstanding, the member should be advised in writing that any advance of compensation that is not subsequently approved by the Minister is subject to recovery.
- Limitations. No advance of payment of compensation for an injury, disease or illness shall be made for any period in excess of three months without the prior approval of the Minister.
- It is the responsibility of the injured/ill member to provide all the necessary information and documentation to his/her Chain of Command in a timely fashion.
- It is the responsibility of the supervisor/assisting officer of the injured or ill member to assist with the preparation, completion and submission of all necessary documentation required for the payment of compensation. It is also the responsibility of the assisting officer to ensure that the injured/ill member has been provided with all information required to make an informed decision with regard to the application for Compensation during a Period of Injury, Disease or illness under the terms of the Government Employee Compensation Act (GECA). For additional information on GECA, please visit the web site: Employment and Social Development Canada – Workers' Compensation.
- Date modified: