Canadian military history archive research room
The Directorate of History and Heritage has research facilities that are open to the public.
Notice: Our Reading Room will reopen on December 14, 2021.
The reading room will accommodate one person at a time. The appointments will be from 9 am to 12 pm and from 1 pm to 4 pm. Researchers will need to be vaccinated to access our Reading Room. The equipment available in the reading room will also be available.
Plan your visit ahead:
- Book your visit at least 72 hours before your appointment date. To book, send an email to AHR-RHA@forces.gc.ca.
- Send AHR-RHA@forces.gc.ca a list of documents to consult at least 48 hours before your appointment. Use our online collection tools to find material relevant to your search.
Day of your visit
On the day of your visit, you are required to follow public health measures.
You must :
- ensure that you bring proof of vaccination to your appointment. A member of our team will check your proof of vaccination before allowing you to use our Reading Room.
- take your temperature before you can be admitted into the public Reading Room.
- wear a face covering or mask that meets current public health officials’ recommendations. It must be worn at all times, including when you are seated.
- wash your hands with soap and water before handling archival material.
Location: Our archive research room is located on the 2nd floor of the Colonel Charles P. Stacey Building:
Colonel Charles P. Stacey Building
2429 Holly Lane
Ottawa ON K1V 7P2
The office is closed on the Civic Holiday and these national public holidays:
- New Year's Day
- Good Friday
- Easter Monday
- Victoria Day
- Canada Day
- Labour Day
- Thanksgiving Day
- Remembrance Day
- Christmas Day
- Boxing Day
- You can find a description of our major collections here.
- Ask a question about our archive research room.
Please DO NOT come in if you have COVID-19 symptoms or are awaiting test results, have been in close contact with someone who has been diagnosed with COVID-19 or is awaiting test results, have travelled abroad in the last 14 days, or have been asked to self-isolate by public health authorities.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: