Maintain your Canada Student Loan

Please read our latest notice:

Maintaining your student loan while you are in school is easy!

Stay in touch with your loan provider

Contact your loan provider(s) when you go back to school to check on the status of your loans and to update your contact information, if necessary.

Note: Going back to school, but not receiving a loan this year?

Inform your loan provider so they can keep your loan from having to be repaid before you finish school.

Provide proof of your ongoing studies

The NSLSC, provincial and territorial student financial assistance offices, and financial institutions all use the period of study end date associated with your Confirmation of Enrolment to calculate a six month non-payment period before your repayment starts. If you return to school, but don’t receive any additional loans, they have no way of knowing you have gone back to school. This is why it is important to keep all your loan providers up-to-date with your enrolment status.

Submit your Confirmation of Enrolment(Schedule 2) as proof that you are enrolled in school. All your lenders must receive Confirmation of Enrolment information, completed by your school within six months of your last confirmed period of study end date. This ensures your loan remains in interest-free status and that you do not have to begin repayment while you are still studying. If you are not taking out a new loan, you must still provide a Confirmation of Enrolment to your loan holders.

If you are taking out a new loan, your school will provide Confirmation of Enrolment as part of the process for full-time students. The Certificate of Eligibility Part-time Student Loans and Grants contains a Confirmation of Enrolment section to be completed by your school.

Submit your Confirmation of Enrolment request online

You can submit a request for Confirmation of Enrolment for both full-time and part-time studies to your school using the NSLSC On-Line Services. If you do not have an account with the NSLSC On-Line Services, it is easy to create one!

Need help? You can always contact the NSLSC for assistance in managing your student loans.

  • If you are a resident of Ontario, you must submit a paper copy of the Canada-Ontario Integrated Student Loans Continuation of Interest-Free Status/Confirmation of Enrolment (Schedule 2) form to ensure that your Canada-Ontario Integrated Student Loan remains in interest-free status. Visit the Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP) Web Site for details.
  • If you are a resident of British Columbia and studying at a public college or university, you must submit a Confirmation of Enrolment form to ensure that your Canada-British Columbia Integrated Student Loan remains in interest-free status. Visit the StudentAid BC Web Site for details.
  • If you are a resident of Manitoba or Prince Edward Island, you must submit a Confirmation of Enrolment form to ensure that the provincial portion of your student loan remains in interest-free status. Visit the Manitoba Student Aid or Prince Edward Island Student Financial Services Web Site for details.
  • If you have a guaranteed or risk-shared loan from a financial institution, you must also ensure that they have received your Confirmation of Enrolment.

If you do not keep your loan provider up-to-date and submit your Confirmation of Enrolment on time, you might have:

  • to enter repayment and start making payments while you are still in school;
  • to pay any interest that accrues up to the date you submitted your Confirmation of Enrolment after your six month non-payment period; and
  • your loan standing negatively affected due to missed payments

Reservist status

If you are a reservist in the Canadian Forces, have an existing student loan and will be serving in a designated operation, download and complete the Confirmation of Posting Assignment for Full-Time Students form and submit it along with your loan application (Apply for Canada Student Loans - Step 6) to maintain your interest-free status. Make sure you attach a copy of your notification of posting instructions that you received from the Department of National Defence.

Need help? Contact your provincial or territorial student financial assistance office.

Helpful tips

  • Keep a file with all of the documents you used to apply for your loan in a safe, easy to find place. This includes your working copy of the application itself
  • Make note of the loan account number and include it on all correspondence with the NSLSC.
  • Borrow wisely. Make sure you are aware of how much you are borrowing, and never borrow more than you think you need.
  • Keep track of who gives you the money. That is who you will pay back once you have finished school.
  • Learn more about the interest rates for your Canada Student Loans.
  • If you have funds available while you are in school, you can start making loan payments right away without penalty. These payments go directly toward the loan principal, which will quickly help reduce the overall amount you pay later.
Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: