Labour Market Impact Assessment application processing times
Transitioning to online applications
Since April 3, 2023, the Temporary Foreign Worker Program has moved to online Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) applications. Consult the LMIA Online Portal Resources page frequently for details and updates.
Service Canada is committed to providing all Temporary Foreign Worker Program (TFWP) applicants with a positive client experience, and understands that the program, through its various delivery streams, is key to addressing labour shortages in Canada, and meeting the needs of Canadian businesses.
Processing times of LMIA applications can vary depending on the number of applications received by the TFWP. While we're committed to processing all LMIA applications as quickly as possible, you can help reduce processing times by:
- submitting your application using the LMIA Online Portal
- ensuring your LMIA application is complete before it is submitted
Note: Incomplete applications won't be processed (you won't be charged the service fee, if one was required).
- ensuring that the signing authority has signed all required documents
- responding promptly to Service Canada requests for additional information or documentation
LMIA Online applications:
- the LMIA Online Portal is a reliable and secure electronic tool. It allows Canadian employers and third-party representatives (on behalf of employers) to submit an LMIA application to Service Canada
- once you have a Job Bank account created you'll be able to do the following in the LMIA Online Portal:
- submit an LMIA application 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
- complete or return to an LMIA application before submitting it to Service Canada
- upload supporting documents
- securely pay LMIA fees, if applicable
- get real-time updates on the status of your application
- view correspondence and decision letters issued by Service Canada
- review previously submitted applications
- access and follow the status of your application when a third-party representative is submitting an LMIA application on your behalf
- to access the LMIA Online Portal, an employer and a third-party representative (if applicable) must have a valid Job Bank account for Employers for authentication purposes
- make sure you have a Job Bank account, if you don't have one, sign up now
- once your Job Bank account(s) is/are created, you'll be able to complete an LMIA application via the LMIA Online Portal
- if you've applied through the LMIA Online Portal, you can confirm the status of your application at any time by logging into your LMIA Online account
The table below identifies the average processing times across all processing centres in Canada and represents the average time it takes to process a complete application from when it is received by Service Canada to when the decision letter is sent to you. Please consider the average processing times below to help you plan for your employment needs.
For positions in Quebec for an employment period of more than 30 consecutive days
- LMIA applications must be submitted at the same time to Service Canada and the Quebec's Ministère de l'Immigration, de la Francisation et de l'Intégration (MIFI) (French only)
- failure to do so will prevent your application from being processed and will result in its closure. No refund of the processing fee will be made
- all applications must be submitted to MIFI in paper format
- the names of the temporary foreign workers must be included in the application
For more information, consult Hiring in the province of Quebec.
Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) is responsible for the issuance of work permits once you have received a positive decision on your LMIA application. Also remember to consider the processing times associated with the issuance of work permits by IRCC.
|Application type||Average processing time|
|Global Talent Stream||9 business days|
|Agricultural stream||11 business days|
|Seasonal Agricultural Worker Program||8 business days|
|Permanent resident stream||57 business days|
|In-home caregivers||20 business days|
|High-wage stream||44 business days|
|Low-wage stream||49 business days|
Help with the LMIA application
- Date modified: