Hiring in the province of Quebec

Important notice

The Temporary Foreign Worker Program is currently making improvements to the system for processing Labour Market Impact Assessment applications. As we transition to the new system, there may be delays in processing some applications. We are working hard to minimize the impact on employers during this transition.

Employing temporary foreign workers (TFWs) can be an essential part of a company's business strategy. Foreign workers can fill labour shortages in Canada and bring new skills and knowledge to help the country's economy grow.

Special instructions

In Quebec, the ministère de l'Immigration, de la Diversité et de l'Inclusion (MIDI) requires that all Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) applications be submitted in French, except for LMIA applications for in-home caregiver positions.

Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC) will work with employers to help minimize the impact of this requirement, as required. If employers have any questions related to this, they can contact the Service Canada Employer Services Hotline in Quebec at 1-866-840-0222 (toll-free) or 1-438-892-0299 for calls from outside Canada.

Employers who apply for a LMIA to hire TFWs in low-wage positions should first submit their application to Service Canada and wait until they obtain confirmation that their LMIA application will be accepted for processing, before proceeding to submit it to the MIDI. This will prevent employers unnecessarily paying processing fees to the MIDI on applications which Service Canada will not process.

However, LMIA applications for high-wage positions should be submitted to Service Canada and to MIDI simultaneously.

Exemption from Labour Market Impact Assessment process

The MIDI in Quebec implemented provisions to simplify the hiring of TFWs. These provisions include employers not being required to apply for a LMIA from ESDC/Service Canada, if they are hiring a TFW who:

  • has a valid work permit;
  • holds a skilled worker Certificate of Selection in Quebec (CSQ);
  • resides in the province of Quebec;
  • has applied for permanent residency under the Quebec Skilled Worker class.

The TFW must also fall under one of the following categories:

  • is seeking to extend the work permit for their current employer;
  • is seeking to renew the work authorization with a new employer in Quebec;
  • is a foreign student who has obtained a post-graduation work permit and has a job offer in the province of Quebec;
  • is a work permit holder through participation in a program under the initiative International Experience Canada (IEC) and:
    • is seeking to extend the work authorization for the current employer or
    • renew it for a new employer in Quebec.

For more information on LMIA exemptions, consult the operational bulletin issued by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).

Under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act, there may be additional situations where employers may not require a LMIA and / or the TFW is not required to apply for a work permit from IRCC. For more information on occupations that are exempted from a LMIA or a work permit.

Employers wishing to hire TFWs that do not meet these criteria, must apply for a LMIA and follow the regular LMIA process for hiring TFWs in Quebec.

Report a problem or mistake on this page
Please select all that apply:

Thank you for your help!

You will not receive a reply. For enquiries, contact us.

Date modified: