Hire a temporary foreign worker in a high-wage or low-wage position
Due to the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak, there are changes to this program.
Please read our latest notices:
For applications received on or after April 1, 2021, the Temporary Foreign Worker Program (TFWP) will no longer apply policy variations for “owner/operator” applications. These applications will be assessed using the normal process.
These changes are part of regular policy reviews to ensure that the TFWP:
- continues to work within its intended purpose, and
- is only used by employers to fill a position when qualified Canadians or Permanent Residents are not available
The wage being offered for the position will determine if you need to apply for a Labour Market Impact Assessment under the Stream for High-wage Positions or the Stream for Low-wage Positions, each with their own requirements.
If you are offering a wage to a temporary foreign worker that is:
- at or above the provincial or territorial median hourly wage, you must apply under the Stream for high-wage positions
- below the provincial or territorial median hourly wage, you must apply under the Stream for low-wage positions
|Province/Territory||Median hourly wages prior to April 30, 2022||Median hourly wages as of April 30, 2022|
|Newfoundland and Labrador||$23.00||$24.29|
|Prince Edward Island||$20.00||$21.63|
- wage rates in column 2 are based on Statistics Canada, Labour Force Survey 2019 (1-year average);
- wage rates in column 3 are based on Statistics Canada, Labour Force Survey 2019 to 2021 (2-year average).
Report a problem or mistake on this page
- Date modified: